The Wolf and the Prince

This is a tiny tale of love in a faraway land.

  Once upon a time, there was a kingdom surrounded by a deep, dark forest. The forest was a frightening place, filled with beasts and ruled by a powerful witch. Even during the day, the forest could be as dark as the winter night. Because of this, humans rarely ventured inside.

  As terrible as the forest was, a beautiful singing voice would always pierce the darkness when the moon shone. The voice belonged to a large wolf. She would proudly sing toward the moon high atop a cliff every night.

  The wolf's singing drew an unforeseen admirer — a human prince from the kingdom surrounded by the forest. Every night, the prince would venture into the scary forest, just to hear the beautiful song.

  One night, when the wolf finished singing, the prince applauded. The voice's identity was hidden because of the cliff, but this only piqued the prince's curiosity.

  The wolf glanced at the prince ; wolves are man-eaters, after all. "What stupid prey," she thought, "I should eat him now that I am finished singing."

  However, the prince had innocently applauded the wolf, who had never before been praised for her singing. She hesitated at first, but for some reason, she soon grew fond of it and didn't feel like eating him. For several more nights, the wolf sang her song, always looking forward to the prince's applause.

  "But," the wolf thought, "If he finds out I'm a monster, he'll get scared and he won't come listen to me sing anymore..." So every night, after her song, the wolf would hear the prince's applause and retreat into the deep, dark forest.