The True Form? ; Watch Your Step!

The next day, the two come across another flower field. But...

The princess hesitated, lost in thought. She was holding a flower she had picked for the prince. Eventually, the princess nodded with resolve and transformed gently to avoid crushing the flower.

She was attempting to give the flower to the prince in her true form. Her fingers trembled with anxiety... But in the end, she never gave him the flower as the wolf.

The flower seemed to be telling her that her beastly self would never be good enough for him, and that she would always be a monster who only knew how to hurt others. "...Princess? What's wrong?" The wolf was startled to hear the prince's voice. She sighed sadly and transformed back into the princess.

"...No, it's nothing. Here you go." The princess wistfully smiled as she gave the flower to the prince. The prince's usual happy smile filled her with pain that day.

~~~

The princess led the prince through a dark cave. Despite her best efforts to carefully guide him, the ground that he was standing on collapsed! "PRINCE!" The princess seized his hand, but she could not lift him up in her current form. She could rescue him easily in wolf form... But if her hand, still holding his, turned into the wolf's, he'd know she was a monster. She desperately tried to pull him up, her entire body shaking.

Unfortunately, she couldn't do it any longer. She ran out of energy and unwillingly let go of his hand.

THUMP...

"OH NO!" shouted the princess. She looked where he had fallen and saw him lying in a small, shallow hole. Her mind went blank and her heart filled with dread. But the prince soon sat up and waved. He was perfectly fine!

The ground that had given way was hollow, so the prince didn't suffer any injuries. The princess felt relieved. But... The princess looked at her hand, a feeble and tiny hand that couldn't help the prince. She began to feel uneasy about keeping him safe in the future.