The Wolf and the Prince

Once upon a time, there was a kingdom surrounded by a deep, dark forest. The forest was a frightening place, filled with beasts and ruled by a powerful witch. Even during the day, the forest could be as dark as the winter night. Because of this, humans rarely ventured inside.

  As terrible as the forest was, a singing voice would always pierce the darkness when the moon shone.

  ...Well, it wasn't very good singing. The voice belonged to a large wolf, who would sit high atop a cliff every night and sing toward the moon.

  "...Why am I singing...? I'm terrible at this..." For some reason, whenever the wolf felt sad, she'd come to this cliff and sing. She tried to remember why, but her memories were very hazy.

  "My heart feels empty..." The wolf's lonely song faded away into the darkness of the night. When she finished, silence fell. The wolf stared into the night sky, as still as a statue. Suddenly, she heard a noise from nearby.

  "Oof... Mmph..." A strange human climbed the cliff and stood right in front of her. The wolf was surprised. Humans and wolves were mortal enemies. And the small human before her looked especially tender and soft.

  The wolf hadn't been particularly craving humans, but a midnight snack had just presented itself to her. She raised a large paw, ready to kill the human and eat him. Just before she struck him, however, he caught her off guard and held out something.

The wolf was suddenly overwhelmed by colors of every shade imaginable. For some reason, she was filled with nostalgia and a gentle, familiar scent. "...Flowers...?" The human was holding a small bouquet.

"Yes, it's for you." the human said, smiling. The wolf looked puzzled.

"I came to see you again, princess."

Suddenly, she was overcome with emotion. Tears welled up in her eyes and flower down her face. Sadness and anguish burst from her heart. She didn't understand what he had said to her, but she felt her lonely, empty heart being filled.

  The wolf lowered her paw and reached for the bouquet. She gently held the tiny flowers, which trembled ever so slightly, and sat down on the spot. The human smiled and sat down next to the wolf. Her blurred vision made his smile seem to quiver.

  They cuddled under the moonlight as the wolf sang again. It wasn't very good singing, but the human listened to it joyfully nonetheless. After that night, the wolf sang not toward the moon, but for the human sitting next to her. And although the singing was not great, it was filled with warmth and honesty, and it brightened the dark forest, forever and ever.

And they lived happily ever after...