Turn Me into a Princess!

She ran all night through the forest. The sun was rising just as she arrived at the witches house. The witch of the forest turned her gaze to the sudden visitor. "Oh! What a rare customer! A man-eating wolf, coming all the way here... What's this about?"

  "I wish to become a human! There's someone I want you to see!" The witch let out a hearty laugh ; sly wolves rarely said such things.

  "A man-eating wolf, become a human?! How amusing. But why on earth... Never mind! No need to divulge the details, I believe I already know why." The wolf growled at the witch's mockery.

  The witch prodded the wolf's nose, the latter looking ready to bite at any time. "But of course. I shall grant your wish. Hmm... But you do know what I need, yes?" Strange glowing spheres appeared out of nowhere. The witch pulled one to her and sighed, admiring it.

  "Beautiful... Each one differs from the others, all unique gems." The sphere's vivid glow pulsed in the witch's palm. The witch was a collector with a rather crude temperament. In return for granting wishes, she took the requester's most cherished possession and turned them into crystals.

  "The most beautiful hearts are the ones willing to lose what's important to them in order to get what they want. So what will your heart reveal to me?" The witch peered into the wolf's eyes as if to discern a suitable payment. "Hmm, yes... How about your singing voice as compensation?"

  "M-My singing voice..." The wolf knew that the witch had a wicked streak, and she knew she had to sacrifice the most important thing to her. Still, her heart trembled, doubtful. Her beautiful singing voice that the prince praised, or the chance to hold his hand...

  "...Okay. I'll give my singing voice in exchange!" The mouth of the witch's mask curled up, as if giving an evil grin.

  "Excellent. Payment accepted! I didn't expect to get this from one so prideful, but I suppose life is full of surprises. Well, I'm in a good mood, so I'll give you a little something extra." The witch's eyes twinkled dubiously, "I'll give you whatever form you desire. What do you want?" The wolf remembered what she had told the prince.

  "...I want to look like a princess." The witch chuckled softly at the wolf's choice.

  "My, my... What a lovely idea. But you're sure of that? You and your human friend will be devoured by monsters before you even get here." The wolf was unnerved and hung her head, ashamed that the witch had seen how futile her plan was.

  "Didn't think about that, did you? Hmph... Even clever wolves can be dull sometimes. I'll modify the spell so you can return to wolf form at any time." A magical light appeared as she began the ritual.

  The magical light wrapped around the wolf's body ; a part of the light gathered near the witch. "I've received your singing voice as the toll," the witch said with an eerie smile. The light around the wolf suddenly shone bright... and then faded.

  "...But I'm still a wolf." The wolf looked sad and disappointed.

  "It's a complex spell," the witch said, "Give your body one night to get used to it." Her task complete, the wolf departed the house. However, the witch stopped her in her tracks. "Ah, I almost forgot. Beware of the moonlight, yes? If you fall under it, you will immediately turn back into a wolf."

  "...Okay. Thank you! Soon I'll be human and hold the prince's hand... I'm so excited!" Full of hope, the wolf eagerly anticipated returning to the castle tower where the prince was waiting.