Chapter 1

"Alessa, boss wants to see you."

I look up from my computer to see Victor poking his head into my office. I sigh mentally. It was already 10pm and all I wanted to do was go home. Thanking him, I head to his office. Knocking on the door, I pray that whatever assignment he has for me does not need to be done today.

"Come in." Opening the door, I spot my boss, Thomas Winston behind his desk. Now, I work at a company known as CCC. To the rest of New York and the world, CCC was a top security firm and I was the head of cyber operations. This was partially true for we did deal with security and I did deal with cyber operations. However, the kind of security we did was more....illegal. We were basically a covert intelligence agency for the underworld such as the mafia. We also dealt with keeping world peace, such as eliminating certain individuals who did not deserve to be on this earth. We're assassins. I am one too. I'm also a really skilled hacker making me one of the highest paid and prized agents in CCC.

Thomas always had a permanent scowl on his face but today, I could see the stress and nerves in his eyes.

"What's up, boss?"

"Alessa, I have an assignment for you." he says passing me a file. I settle in the chair opposite him and open it, my eyes scanning the pages. Raising an eyebrow at him, I lift the file and toss it back at him.

"Why are you showing me a file on this scumbag?" Said scumbag was Connor O'Sullivan, leader of the Irish mafia. Well, former leader. He has been dead for almost a year now and the Irish mafia's presence in the US had basically vanished. Connor and I had some history. He was a sick maniac, the kind that belonged in a mental asylum and I was glad he was dead.

"I just had a meeting with Luciano Moretti. apparently, Connor is very much alive."

"What? How is that even possible? His whole place was bombed."

"I know. But, Connor here somehow survived and has been recuperating in Ireland all this while. Luciano heard chatter recently that he's back on his feet and is getting the Irish mafia back together in the US. He even has a picture of him."

"Wait, Luciano came and spoke to you personally?" Luciano Moretti was the head of the Italian Mafia, the Don as they call him. He was only 25 and had been handed the position from his father 2 years ago but he had already built a reputation for himself. Besides the Russian mafia who had very strong alliances with the Italians by the way, the Italian Mafia was ruling not just America but had very strong influences all over the world. and Luciano was the one who got them there. He was a man of few words and was barely seen in public. Most of his dealings were done via his second in command and best friend, Angelo Romano. Luciano's cousin, Luca Moretti was older than him by 2 years and was his advisor, so to speak. If Luciano came to meet Thomas personally, shit was bad.

Thomas nods, his expression grave. "You and I both know the damage Connor caused the last time. This time is going to be worse because he has vengeance on his mind."

"How do the Italians come into the picture?"

"Before Connor's 'death', he had been trying to take over the Italian mafia's territory. attacking their warehouses, clubs, that sort of thing. He even tried to sabotage Luciano's Fortune 500 company. Needless to say, Luciano put an end to it. Not only did he help our team bomb Connor's place, he took over their dealings and territories."

I nod, deep in thought. Luciano needed to get rid of Connor once and for all or else a bloody war would ensue. While I was pretty sure the Italians would win, Connor was a psycho. He had no issue endangering the public, something the Italians never did. Luciano would not want to lose his men or paint the streets of New York red. That would bring every government agency to town. The Italians had more than enough influence in the government but this would still be a headache to deal with. Plus, we didn't need them linking anything back to us.