Chapter 22

"Where do you think you're going?" I freeze, sighing in defeat. Emilia and Sofia appear out of nowhere just as I was about to tiptoe up the stairs.

"Uhh-to bed. I'm exhausted. Goodnight." I say quickly hoping to escape but they corner me, blocking my escape route.

"I'm afraid my brother is gonna have to wait." Emilia says and I look at her confused.

"Your brother?"

"You honestly think Luciano's  gonna let you sleep in your room tonight?" Sofia says chuckling and I blush.

"Uhh, I don't know."

"You're adorable. Anyway, when were you planning on telling us that you're dating my brother?"
"We're not together Emilia."
Both their eyes widen and Emilia starts cursing her brother.
"That idiot needs a whack on his head. What the hell is he doing not asking you out?"
My eyes widen when I realise that they got it wrong and I hurry to correct them.
"No no. I was the one who wanted to take things slow."
"What? Why?"
"It's..complicated."
Emilia rolls her eyes at me, "don't give me that shit. What's going on?"
I sigh, figuring out how to explain.
"Look, we're in the middle of a war with Connor and I'm sort of in the middle of one with Thomas. Anything could happen and I-I May have to leave to keep you guys safe. To keep him safe."
The girls smile, shaking their head as if I just told them the sky is pink.
"Oh you sweet thing. Luciano always gets what he wants. He's not gonna let you go no matter what Connor or Thomas do. We're family now, Alessa. And that means you're not alone anymore. We're all in this fight together."
I swallow down the lump in my throat, fighting back the moisture in my eyes.
I just nod and the girls smile, hugging me briefly before heading upstairs to bed.
Slowly sinking down on the steps, I run my hand over my face taking a deep breath.I couldn't fight this war alone, not if I wanted to win. Maybe it was time I let them in. It wouldn't be easy for me but I needed to try. I owed them that much.

It's been a few days since Luciano and I got together. Sofia was right, i had been sleeping with him every night. Not that I minded, he kept the nightmares away and I slept like a baby. I knew that he was sleeping a lot better too so it was a win win for the both of us. I'm leaning against the railing on his balcony, waiting for him to come to bed. Closing my eyes, I lift my head to the sky and take a deep breath, enjoying the crisp chill air on my face. The sound of a camera shutter makes me whip my head back and I blush when I realise that it's Luciano taking a picture of me.
"You looked beautiful. I couldn't help myself."
He says keeping his phone away.
"I'll return the favour someday." He laughs, hugging me from behind. I automatically lean back into him, enjoying his warmth and protection. He nuzzles his face into my neck and lets out a deep sigh.
"You okay?"
I ask, holding onto his arms.
"Mmhm." We just stand there for while, enjoying each other's company in silence.
"There's this charity gala on Saturday. I was wondering if you would be my date?"
I turn around in his arms, raising an eyebrow.
"Since when did you attend galas?"
"Since it's my charity gala. It's the Moretti Foundation Annual Gala."
"Ohh. Umm, will there be a lot of people?"
He laughs, "Not many. Say a few hundred."
"A few hundred?!" He nods, amused and I focus my gaze on his tshirt.
"Are you sure you want me there? I mean, as your date? Cuz you know all your business associates will be there and Connor will find out. Oh god, Thomas will find out about this and he might-"
"Dolchezza."
"He's gonna be furious and do some shit and that'll make me livid and then-"
"Baby."
"I planned on taking care of that problem once we've dealt with Connor but that's okay. I'll figure out a way to make sure he doesn't involve the mafia in this-"
A pair of steel grey eyes coming into view brings my word vomit to a halt. Luciano cups my face gently, as he smiles softly.
"Amore, breathe."
I take a deep breath and force my brain to slow down for a bit.
"You think I haven't thought about any of this?. Yes, you and me are gonna be on the front page of every newspaper and tabloid magazine the next morning. Yes, Thomas will find out and he might send another warning. Yes, Connor will be livid. But I. Don't. Care. I want you by my side baby. I need you by my side. I want every single person to know that you're mine. I know that I'm not your boyfriend yet but I'm not letting you go Alessandra. The whole world is gonna know you're mine and I couldn't be happier. However I'm not gonna force you to do something you're not ready for. If you don't wanna come, all you have to do is say no. I promise I won't be mad or upset. As much as I want you there with me, your feelings matter the most to me. So Alessandra Morino, will you be my date?
I stare into the eyes that I absolutely adore. Remembering my promise to let him in, to try at this, I take a deep breath and nod.
"Okay."
Luciano blinks in surprise before he lets out a huge smile.
"Yeah?"
I smile back, "yeah. I know there will be consequences to this but fuck it. We're a team. Well get through them together."
He hugs me tightly, lifting me off the floor.
"Thank you amore."
"No, thank you Vincenzo."