Chapter 26

Euphoria wraps around me like a warm blanket. I can't stop myself from giggling as I slump against Connor. He grips my waist tightly, holding me flush against his body. His grip kind of hurts but my knees are buckling, unable to hold me up. My blurry vision clears and my dilated pupils zero in on a tall figure at the door.
"Vincenzo! Heeeyyyy babyyyy." I start giggling all over again as he looks at me worriedly before focusing his icy gaze back on Connor. I notice Luca and Angelo flanking him, guns trained on Connor.
"What the hell did you inject her with?"
Damn, he sounds so sexy when he's mad. Wait, why was he mad?
"Why are you mad? Are you mad that I'm happy? Everything's sooo..soo colourful and..and warm.." I mumble to myself looking around the room, my voice childishly happy.
"She is happy, Vincenzo. Don't you want her to be happy?" Connor replies snarkily and Luciano let's out a low growl, taking a step forward, gun aimed directly at Connor.

"Tsk tsk. I wouldn't do that if I were you." I feel something cold press against my temple. I turn to see what it is but Connor's arm has moved from my waist to my neck, almost choking me.
Luciano freezes, a flash of fear crosses his beautiful face before that deadly look is back.
"If you hurt her O'Sullivan, I swear to God I will -"
"You will what huh? Kill me? Your bitch will be dead before you can take another step."
Hey, who is he calling a bitch? I'm gonna slap this dude.
"Alessandra. Alessandra."
I hear someone call my name and I look at Luciano again. Smiling brightly, I try to take a step forward but am held back.
"Why are you so far away?" I say pouting but he doesn't smile.
"Baby, look at me. Dolchezza, no no keep your eyes on me. Focus on me tesoro."
I try my hardest to keep my gaze on him but I can feel myself losing consciousness. Connor nudges my broken ribs and I let out a scream.
"Stop talking to her. If you want your Donna alive, give me what I want."
"Unfortunately, I do not have the cure for stupidity." Luciano says drily and I can't help the giggle that escapes my lips.
"An attitude like that might just make me trigger happy Moretti."
There's a few long seconds of tense silence as Luciano sends a deadly look at Connor.
"What do you want?" He finally says through gritted teeth, his jaw clenched so hard I'm sure it hurts.
"Now we're talking. I want the file."
Confusion flashes briefly across Luciano's face before it dawns with understanding, shock and anger. He then surprises everyone by bursting out into laughter, humourless laughter that sends chills down your spine.
"Jesus, you're much a bigger idiot than I thought you were."
"The file or she dies."
"I am not handing over my mafia to you."
"I'm afraid poor Alessa here is a dead woman then."
Luciano laughs, shaking his head.
"You're not gonna kill her Connor."
"And why not?"
"Because she's the only reason I haven't put a bullet in your skull yet."
Connor stiffens, remaining silent. Luciano was right though. I was the only leverage he had right now. Connor had lost all his money and data, if he lost me, Luciano would kill him instantly.
"Let's make a deal then. Give me the file or she's mine."
Luciano's eyes flash dangerously as he stiffens even more.
"What did you just say?"
Connor laughs, clearly enjoying this. He nuzzles my neck, making me squirm uncomfortably.
"You smell so good baby. I can't imagine what it would feel like to be in you."
His words somehow register through my foggy brain and I try to get away from him but his grip is too tight.
"You sick fucker. Don't you dare touch her." Luciano says in a deathly low voice and I feel Connor tense slightly before stroking my cheek.
"No no no. Get your hands off me." I scream as I try to squirm but my limbs refuse to cooperate, still under the influence of the heroin.
"Stop moving bitch." A sharp needle slightly pricks my neck making me freeze. I lock gazes with Luciano who has turned white as a ghost.
Connor chuckles, "While I do enjoy my women feisty, it's a lot easier when they're high and immobile. Let's just hope this second dose of heroin doesn't kill her."
I don't dare to breathe, my survival instinct somehow coming out.
"I'll give you the file."
I look at Luciano, who's eyes are still on me, warm and loving.
"Smart choice. Now let's go get it shall we?"
"Ti amo amore. You're gonna be okay." Is all he whispers to me, those steel grey eyes that I love so dearly never leaving mine.
Fight you bitch. Fight. Don't you dare give up now.
Closing my eyes, I take a deep breath trying to fight the effects of the heroin. My mind focuses completely on the man that I loved in front of me as I summon up every ounce of energy I have left. My body moves on instinct as I escape Connor's choke hold, bringing him to his knees. My sudden moves shock him but he quickly recovers, aiming the needle at my arm. Without blinking, I twist his arm, forcing the needle away from me. His mouth opens to yell but no words come out. Instead, his eyes widen and he slumps back. Staggering back, I collapse on the floor, my body too tired and in pain. My eyes barely have time to register the needle sticking out of his neck as they flutter shut. I hear voices yelling my name but my body starts shutting down.
There was more than just heroin in that needle .
The thought crosses my mind just as I finally surrender to the dark abyss.