Chapter 27

She....injuries were severe.....administered Narcan..hope for the best.........

The voices float in and out of my hearing like the waves of the ocean. As I lose consciousness again, I can vaguely feel someone kiss the top of my head before a familiar scent envelopes me. I don't know how long I'm out for but a loud clap of thunder rouses me from my sleep. Blinking slowly, it takes a while for my blurry vision to clear. Slowly cranking my stiff neck to the side, I see a flash of lightning through the balcony doors. The room is dark, a dim bedside lamp the only source of light but the black walls tell me that I'm in Luciano's room. Slowly becoming more aware of my surroundings, I inhale his signature scent from beside me. Turning my head in the other direction, my eyes fall on my Don. He's fast asleep beside me, clad in a Tshirt and sweatpants. His hair is all tousled and he looks like he's aged 10 years since that day. His arm is loosely slung around my waist and I gently place my hand on his. I didn't want to wake him but his eyes immediately jolt open, darting around the room before falling on his arm around my waist. I lightly squeeze his arm again and his face immediately turns to me in shock. After a few long seconds of him just staring at me like he had seen a ghost, I send him a weak smile and open my mouth to say something but nothing comes out. My throat is super sore and I feel like someone had stuffed my mouth with cotton candy. That slight movement breaks him out of his stupor and he immediately rushes of the bed to pour some water. Gently helping me up, he props me against the pillows before holding the glass to my lips. I greedily gulp down the cool liquid, asking for another glass. Feeling so much better, Luciano sets the glass down before turning back to me wordlessly. Furrowing my eyebrows in confusion, I scan his body for injuries but besides a small bandage on his forehead and some bruised knuckles, I can't see anything else.

"Are you hurt? Did he shoot you?" my voice is hoarse and gravelly but I don't care. I just need to know that he was okay. However, I wasn't expecting him to start laughing. Staring at him wide-eyed, Luciano continues laughing, almost in disbelief and exasperation.

He eventually stops and shakes his head at me, disbelief etched on his face.

"You almost died and the first thing you ask me is if I'm okay?"

My mouth opens and closes like a goldfish causing him to chuckle helplessly. His large hands cup my face tenderly, those steel grey eyes I love full of pain and misery.

"I almost lost you, dolchezza. What the hell were you thinking, going after him alone?"

Leaning into his warm touch, I smile weakly, "You're always fighting for everyone else. Let me fight for you." repeating the words he told me the night we got together.

Recognition flashes through his eyes before a tear drops on his cheek, followed by another and another. My heart wrenches at the sight of him in absolute pain but he smiles.

"I love you, Alessandra Morino. I love you more than life itself and I am never ever letting you go."

My heart stops at his confession. Did he-did Luciano Moretti just say he loves me? I don't stop the tears from flowing down my cheeks as I smile back at him.

"I love you too Vincenzo. And I'm not going anywhere."

His face breaks out into the biggest smile I have ever seen, those dark eyes filled with happiness and love. Kissing me sweetly, he buries his head in my neck and we just hold each other for a while, enjoying the moment.

"What happened?" I'm snuggled in bed with Luciano a few hours later. After our little heart to heart, he called the doctor in to examine me. I still had traces of the drug concoction in my system but it wasn't life threatening anymore. Besides my broken ribs that would take some time to heal, all I had left from that day was fading bruises. Once the doctor left, the others came in, overjoyed to see me. Emilia helped me take a shower which left me feeling so much better. I wasn't stinky considering Luciano had Emilia and Sofia give me a sponge bath and change my clothes when I was unconscious but there was nothing like a hot shower. The boys were teasing him about being such a gentleman and not changing my clothes himself. I wouldn't have minded so much if he did but I was definitely touched by how considerate he was. And if I'm being honest, I did not want him to see my bruised and battered body. Not so much out of shame but because I knew it would just hurt him. The rest also filled me in on how Luciano never left my side the whole time when he went to take a shower. The man barely ate or slept, leaving Luca and Angelo to run the mafia for the time being. Sergio and Giada were here as well, having rushed over when they heard what had happened. Sergio was helping the boys carry Luciano's weight while Giada, being the mum she is, made sure everything ran smoothly at home.

"Well, that son of a bitch is dead isn't he?" Luciano nods, eyes gleaming with satisfaction.
"That second dose that he wanted to inject you with, it was deadly. Even deadlier than the first one. And since you injected him right in the neck, he pretty much died instantly."

"What about the others? Liam?"
"Liam killed himself baby. We found him in the  ops room. I think he realised that he was done for. "
Sighing, I shake my head lightly.
"He really was so talented. If only he hadn't used his skills to cause harm."
Luciano kisses the top of my head in agreement. "We can't save everyone Amore."
"I know."
"Is everything okay with the mafia?"
Luciano nods. "Angelo and Luca have been running the show for the past few days with my dad helping them out. Everyone's glad that Connor and his men are dead. They would have unleashed mayhem for all of us and the public. Oh by the way, Nikolai said he's coming to see you tomorrow."
"Nikolai! I completely forgot. Was he there as well?"
"He arrived a few minutes later. Helped us take down Connor's men while I was...dealing with him."
"Is he hurt?"
"No baby. Everyone's fine. A few of our men were injured but no casualties. They've been so worried about you. Honestly, they're more worried for you than they've ever been for me." He chuckles lightly.
"Maybe it's because I'm not such a grumpy old man." I say teasingly and he glares playfully at me, flicking my nose.
"Need I remind you that you love this grumpy old man. I'm not even old."
I gasp suddenly, pointing at his head.
"Wait, is that a strand of white hair?"
Luciano's eyes widen in disbelief and he leaps of the bed to the large vanity mirror. He frantically searches for the nonexistent hair, mumbling in Italian to himself. I bite my lip so hard to keep a straight face but when he turns around to face me, disbelief and slight fear on his face, I lose it. His face when he realises I've fooled him leaves me in hysterics and the only reason I stop laughing so soon is because of my stupid ribs.
"Seriously Alessandra?" He pouts climbing back into bed with me. I chuckle at his adorable face,
"I had to. I'm sorry. You face though-"
He rolls his eyes but I can tell he's secretly amused. Placing a loud kiss on his cheek, I send him a sweet smile making him cave instantly. He sighs, kissing me lightly on my lips before snuggling into me.
"Alright. Enough with your little pranks. Time for bed." I begin to protest but a loud yawn escapes me at that very moment. Luciano chuckles, turning to switch off the light and pull the duvet over us.
"Nights tesoro. I love you."
My heart flutters at his words. I don't think I would ever get used to hearing him say that.
"Nights baby. I love you too."