Chapter 15

Birds are chirping merrily outside. The sky is blue and it's a beautiful peaceful morning. But I am anything but at peace. I didn't sleep a wink the whole night, my mind and body unable to shut down after basically staring death in the face. To think that my biggest fear last night was getting caught by Dexter Williams. All this while I've been so busy paying attention to a psycho that I forgot I was living with the devil himself. As crazy as it sounds, it was a good thing that Luciano showed me his true colours last night. It was a wake up call, a reality check that I desperately needed. I had gotten caught up in this fantasy world, where it was all roses and unicorns that I forgot I was living a lie. I was an assassin, alone on Italian territory. Sofia and Emilia may have become close friends to me but they were still part of the mafia. As for Luca and Angelo, as much as they have looked out for me, their loyalties lay with Luciano and the mafia. If Luciano killed me, they would be the ones disposing my body.

I was angry at myself, angry that I allowed myself to be vulnerable, to him of all people. I have never lost focus on a mission before, never let anyone in, not even close and here I was, letting him hug me and wipe syrup off my lips. Here on out, I had to be strictly professional. I was here to do my job and that does not include becoming friends with them or getting invited to Christmas dinner.

I had just gotten out of the shower when my phone rings. Frowning at the caller ID, I pick up wondering what Thomas needed from me now.

Walking down the stairs, I hear Giada's voice coming from the kitchen, mingling with the rest of the chatter. Ah shit, why did she have to be here of all days. Emilia is in mid conversation with Sofia and her mother when she spots me first. Her eyes widen at the ugly bruises on my neck and she stops mid sentence. I had purposely not concealed them, I wasn't gonna be ashamed of them or hide them. I wanted him to look at what he'd done. He may not feel any regret or guilt but he needed to know that I wasn't afraid of him. I wasn't gonna submit. Was I gonna be more careful? Yes but not submissive. Never.

Giada turns around, breaking out into a huge smile when she sees me. That smile instantly drops when her eyes zero in on my neck.

"Merda, Alessa. What happened dear?" She exclaims in shock and horror, coming closer to inspect them. I give her a polite smile and say not harshly but in a tone devoid of any emotion or warmth,
"Occupational hazard."
She frowns at my sudden change in behaviour since she last saw me.
"Let me have a look at it."
I shake my head, gently pulling away from her grip and taking a step back.
"Thank you but it's okay. I've survived worse."
Angelo and Luca are staring at me and I can see the guilt on their faces. Luciano though doesn't look at me, concentrating fully on his breakfast but I know he's listening.

Emilia and Sofia look at the boys and at Luciano and turn back to me. I can see the gears turning in their heads but thankfully before they can say anything, Angelo speaks up.

"You're leaving?" He asks spotting the backpack I was carrying.
This gets Luciano's attention as his head snaps up, eyes zeroing in on my backpack.

"Only for a couple of days. Thomas called me early this morning. They need me for an extraction mission." I say cooly.

Turning to Luciano, I ask him in a neutral voice.
"Don, do you mind if I borrow one of your cars?"
Everyone freezes when I call him that including him. He stares at me for a few seconds, his eyes swirling with a million emotions for a second before nodding stiffly.
I nod back, not at all bothered.
"Thank you, Don."
He doesn't say anything but looks back down at his plate, playing with his food.

"I'll see you guys later." I don't wait for a response although everyone seems to shocked to give one as I leave the kitchen.

I stop over at CCC to meet Thomas first and get some details on this mission. I take the side elevator to avoid walking through the busy lobby and head straight to his office. His eyes widen when he sees my bruises and asks angrily.
"Did he put his hands on you?"
I knew who he was referring to but decided not to answer his question.
"Do you have the intel?"
Thomas refuses to change the topic, repeating his question.
I sigh, "I crossed a line last night. Let's leave it at that."
"Alessa, if you want me to pull you out, all you-"
"Do you have the intel or not?" I cut him off and he stares at me for a few seconds before passing me a file. I take it without a word and turn to leave.
"Ales-" Thomas calls out but his voice is cut off by the sound of me slamming his door shut.