Chapter 24

The water has turned cold and my skin is all wrinkly but I don't bother. My mind goes over the plan again, running through it, searching for loopholes that we missed. It was a risky plan but it was also our best option. Infiltrating Connor's compound was going to be difficult since it was huge but we had the numbers on our side. Luciano wanted me to stay home and keep Liam blocked out but I needed to be on site. I could hack into their server from inside the house. After all, they would need me when we got into his operations room. Turning of the water, I step out from the shower and towel myself off. Slipping into one of Luciano's T-shirt's that I stole, I walk out into my room and stop short when I notice the brown package on my bed. Drawing my gun, I immediately  head to the balcony but the door is locked from the inside meaning that the intruder came from inside the house. Opening my door, I step out into the hallway but it's empty and quiet. Heart racing, I step back into my room and look closely at the package. Gingerly searching for any indication that it might contain explosives and finding none, I open it. A few pictures slide out causing my anger to rise when I look through them. They're all pictures of Frankie, at school, play dates. Someone's been tailing the boy for the past week and none of us caught on. A letter slides out, neatly typed out.
Its time for you to take your rightful place beside Connor or the boy will pay for your sins.
My fists automatically crumples the paper in pure rage as I sit down on my bed. How dare he threaten my little man. No wonder Connor was so quiet this past week, he had a mole within our organisation and we had no clue as to who it was. There was no telling what information Connor had acquired. A part of me wanted to call an emergency meeting but I couldn't risk tipping off the mole. Luciano had full faith in his men and I respected that but I didn't know them well enough. And I hadn't been brought up in the mafia. Knowing Luciano, his first thought would be that the mole was one of nikolai's men. Either way, it was too risky. I had to handle this myself. Shoving the pictures back into the envelope, I stuff them under my pillow knowing that no one would look there as I hadn't been sleeping in my room for days now. I take a deep breath to compose myself and head up to Luciano's room. He's already in bed waiting for me, a book in his hands. He takes one look at me and his brows furrow. It was times like this that I hated how well he could read me.
"Amore, you okay?"
"I'm fine. Just feeling tired."
He nods dubiously and I know I need to distract him before he starts asking more questions. I hated lying to him but I needed to keep them safe. Climbing into bed, I snuggle closer, planting a kiss on him.
"Nights Vincenzo."
He pulls me close, planting a kiss on my head.
"Nights baby."
Luciano's asleep within minutes and I take that opportunity to study his face. I had a plan but it could end with me never returning back to him. Tonight may very well be my last night with him and I intended to commit it to memory. Hearing his heartbeat steadily pounding though his chest, I close my eyes, breathing in his signature scent and revelling in his warmth. I would need this memory in order to get through tomorrow.

Feather light touches all over my face arouse me from my slumber. Groggily opening my eyes, a smile crosses my lips as Luciano's hair comes into vision. He continues planting kisses on my face, moving down to my neck making me giggle.
"Good morning baby." I say running my fingers through his hair.
His reply comes in the form of a open mouthed kiss right at the sensitive spot on my neck. Letting out a low moan, I feel him smirk before capturing my lips in his.
Panting and breathless after our morning make out session, I run my fingers through his hair as he lays his head on my chest, the both of us enjoying each other's company in silence. Memories of last night float into my thoughts and I mentally sigh. I place a kiss on his head, making him look up at me.
"You're the best thing that's ever happened to me. You know that right?"
Luciano scans my face, and I can see the gears turning in his head. He knows somethings not right, he just hasn't figured out what yet. I do the only thing I know that will distract him which is to kiss him. Hard. It works but I knew Luciano well. He wouldn't let this go that easily.