[Chapter 4: Blackwood Mountain]

"Sam! (Y/n)! Hey. You made it!"

"Oh! So! I found something kinda amazing." Chris continued after greeting you both, starting to walk over to some place nearby.

"What?" Sam wondered with slight interest, her eyes curious while she wanted to know.

"Can't it wait until tomorrow morning?" You pretended to feel tired and faked a yawn - just wanting to get to the lodge and see how Josh was doing. "I'm exhausted, y'know?"

"But—"

"Come on Chris, the cable car!!" Sam reprimanded him forcefully, changing her mind and heading in the direction of the cable car instead.

So you and Chris followed behind, the beautiful mountain sliding back into view. "Man, it is...it's definitely weird coming back up here after a whole year." He brought up the "elephant in the room" and that's when a flash of resentment sparked up inside you; wanting nothing more than to start an argument.

"Yeah. I swear, the moment I got here it just all came flooding back." Sam sighed and you calmed down - remembering she wasn't directly involved in the disgusting prank.

"Hey that's weird." She tugged at the doorknob and you tightened your hold on your luggage, wanting to know what was wrong.

"What's weird Sam?" You uneasily asked, flashing a quick frown at Chris before looking back at your best friend.

"Door's locked." Sam tugged one last time before facing you guys, her face twisted into bewilderment.

"Yeaaah..." Chris spoke, "Josh wanted us to keep it locked, keep people out."

"Why would he...?" You timidly trailed off, not knowing why Josh would do such a thing.

"He said that? What people?" Sam probed, folding her arms and looking at Chris as she obviously grew intrigued.

"I don't know. He said they found people sleeping in the station one time." Chris replied awkwardly, avoiding her gaze as the uneasiness in the atmosphere increased.

"Creepy." She shuddered.

Once the cable car had finally arrived, the door unlocked itself and Chris opened the door for you two - allowing you and Sam to go first. "After you." He dipped his head gently, taking a step back whilst he tried to defuse the rising awkwardness in the air.

"A real gentleman." Sam shot him a light grin and made her way inside.

"Yeah. Thanks, Chris." You thanked him in a polite manner, following Sam while he shut the door behind you all.

Then the three of you climbed into the cable car and let it carry you guys up the mountain; Sam and Chris casually chatting whilst you simply took in the sights around you and stayed silent the entire time. They were talking about the anniversary - so why on Earth could you join in? You were still completely and utterly devastated by last year's events. How could they move on so fast? So...So quickly? Surely they cared. At least a little. Perhaps they were better at pretending than you were. Oh well. Once the cable car arrived at the top, Sam and Chris began pounding on the cable car's window, calling out someone's name.

"JESS! HEY!"
"JESSICA! OVER HERE!"

"Uh...are you guys having a really weird stroke?" Jess asked as she approached the locked cable car, looking with suspicion at the three of you.

"We're...Well, we're..." You struggled to reply, feeling self-conscious.

"We're stuck in this stupid thing." Chris corrected the blonde-haired girl for you, sounding somewhat aggravated.

"Can you please let us out? Pretty please?" Sam pleaded with an unhappy sigh.

"OH. My. God." Chris complained as soon as you all stepped out of the cable car, "I thought we were goners. Another ten minutes in there and I would have chewed off my own leg."

"Aw, sick, Chris." Sam placed her head against the palm of her hand and shook it a little bit, making you quietly laugh.

"Look, I got a lot of meat on my bones." Chris gestured to his body, "This is all muscle down here."

"Sure it is, Chris." You spoke with sarcasm - surprising yourself, "Sure it is."

"Yeah...Riiiiight. Uh-huh." Sam sided with you and smiled in amusement, finding the conversation now funny.

"Hey!" Jessica exclaimed as Chris swiped a letter out of her hand and held it high.

"Well, well, well...what do we have here?" He ignored her protests and peered at the envelope with interest.

"Chris!" She tried to argue once more, but the male merely spoke over her - being rude.

"My goodness." He mischievously cooed, "Seems that someone has a lil' crush on our good friend and dear class president Michael Munroe~"

"Chris-"

"Aaand...what kind of sizzling erotica might our Jessica be capable of imagining, I wonder...?" Chris smirked, acting as ill-mannered as the others did last year.

"Stop it Chris!" You demanded sharply, wrenching the letter out of his hand and passing it into Jessica's hand instead. "That's not funny. That's just mean."

"Thanks." Jess sent you a grateful smile, pleased by your sudden support. "Mike and Em split. We're together." She explained to everyone, surprising Chris.

"Woah. Drama." He raised his hands up and attempted to act casual.

"Not really. Pretty clear cut, actually." Jess held her hands up as well and aimed them at her shoulders, "Em's out, I'm in."

"Huh." Sam didn't know what to say and neither did you, both of you standing on the sidelines as the other two locked glances.

"Alright alright, let's just get up to the lodge already." Chris broke the stare and huffed, touching his forehead before turning around. "Getting tired of all this nature and junk."

"I think it's pretty, actually." You coldly disagreed, your random courage shocking you while you followed behind.

"You guys go ahead. I'm just gonna wait here for a bit..." Jess walked over to a nearby bench, intending to sit down and stay behind. "See who else is coming."

"You mean Mike?" Chris chipped in.

"Shut up Chris." You snapped in annoyance, brushing past him and deciding to make your way to the lodge with or without the others.

"What? I mean, you know, whoever." Jess waved off his last remark and moved away, trying her best to pretend she didn't hear.

"Man, I feel like this mountain gets bigger every time I climb it." Chris commented, staring at the ground as he grew tired.

"Oh yeah?" Your hair flew to the side as you looked at the source of the familiar voice, your eyes widening. "Feels the same to me."

"Oh come on, you grew up here. It probably feels like it's shrinking." Chris retaliated with a grin, also following the sound of said voice.

"I guess that's true." Josh dipped his head with a grin of his own, his arms crossed as he interacted with Chris.

"Josh..." Your voice was barely audible, dropping your luggage whilst you wondered what to say or what to do. "H...Hey..."

"(Y/n)! Good to see you!" He greeted with a sweet smile brimming with warmth - his friendliness snapping you out of your shy stance. "How you doing, huh?"

You didn't answer straightaway, deciding to just bound into his arms and engulf him in a tight hug; your arms wrapped around his body as you struggled to keep it together. "Woah, woah, this is quite the warm welcome." Josh chuckled, his arms curling around you in response to your affectionate embrace.

"I...I..." You couldn't find the right words to answer his question - so you gripped the front of his coat instead. "...I've missed you."

"You took the words right outta my mouth." The dark-haired male used one hand to stroke the top of your head gently, clearly trying to calm you down in some way. "Missed you too, (Y/n). Missed you too."