[Chapter 5: Breaking and Entering]

"When are you gonna install some cell towers up here?" Chris cut in curtly, holding his phone up and waving it around in the air slightly. "I'm getting withdrawals already."

"You got a spare million lying around and I'll fix you right up." Josh joked in a jovial manner, breaking the hug and instead picking up your luggage for you - holding your hand after.

"Funny you should say that..." Chris pretended to muse over that, both boys messing around by this point. "Ah, I think I left it in my other jacket."

"Oops." Josh stuck his tongue out at Chris before the four of you started walking again; you glowing inside due to Josh giving your hand a subtle and soft squeeze.

"Hey guys..." Josh greeted some of your other friends casually, "Get up here okay?"

"Yeah...Well," Ashley - who was sitting on the bottom of the stairs - paused for a moment, "More or less. But it's so good to see you!"

" 'Sup with him?" Josh asked Ashley in a quiet voice, tilting his head a tad towards the other male standing next to Ashley - Matt.

"Yo yo yo! Are we gonna get things moving up here or what?" Chris cheered as you all - Ashley and the other guy excluded - approached the lodge's front door.

"Yeah man!" Josh flashed yet another grin, breaking the handholding and dropping the luggage to hold his hands out in front of him - in front of Chris.

"Hey...you doin' alright?" Chris asked with concern, "I mean, I know it must be really tough without your sis—"

"Chris!" You silenced him with alarm, placing a finger against your lips while you shot a worried look at Josh.

"Stop." Josh stopped you both, which surprised you as you thought he'd be unhappy.

"I just meant that—"

"No I know what you meant." Josh interrupted him this time, making you nervous. "You know, seriously, I'm over it, and I just want us to have a good time, you know?"

"Like we always used to." Something didn't feel right though. It was the way he phrased it. Nobody gets over a loss that personal within a year. Heck, you weren't even related to Beth and Hannah, and you were still in despair.

"Dammit...This freaking thing..." Josh gritted his teeth and struggled with the handle.

"It's iced?" Chris awkwardly guessed.

"What else." Josh sighed in frustration, peering down to inspect and get a closer look at it.

"Maybe there's another way in." You shyly suggested, holding the sides of your arms and shifting from foot to foot.

"There are a million ways in." Josh informed you all, "They're just all locked."

"There's gotta be, like, a window round the corner we can get, like, "get open" or something." Chris's idea caused you to tense up, wondering if that was the right thing to do.

"Wait a second, are you saying we should break in?" Josh turned around and faced Chris with an unreadable expression, you not knowing if Josh was actually okay with it or not.

"I don't think it's technically breaking in if you own the place, right?" Chris tried to laugh it off, not wanting his friend to grow mad.

"Hey." Josh stopped for a moment before flashing him a smirk. "Not if I don't report you." You stifled a small giggle - finding his remark to be relatively funny.

"Umm..." Chris trailed off unsurely - clearly confused on whether that was a threat or a joke.

"Lead the way, Cochise." Josh grinned yet again, throwing one hand in front of him and indicating for Chris to go first.

With a shrug Chris went ahead of you all, heading back down the wooden steps and bumping into Ashley. "Hey Ash..." He greeted warmly, an affectionate smile spreading across his face while he stopped to talk to her.

"Hi Chris!" She pleasantly replied, shooting him a sweet smile of her own.

"So..." Chris paused for a moment, trying to think up a conversation topic. "How're you doing?"

"Mm...good! But...a little cold..." Ashley continued to smile as she hugged her crossed arms closer to her chest, "I think I could use some time curled up by the fire..."

"Yeah...that does sound pretty nice." He agreed lightly, his behaviour changing completely around Ashley. It was a little...cute~

"I agree. So...can we get to work on finding a way in? Please...?" You joined in with a timid tone, holding the sides of your arms again whilst you stood next to Sam.

"Yeah. Let's go man." Chris snapped out of his romantic trance and turned to Josh - both of them leaving you three alone on the front steps a minute or two later.

About ten minutes passed before you spotted Chris on the other side of the front door, a lighter grasped in one hand while he made his way towards you guys. "We're freezing our buns off out here!" Ashley exclaimed in aggravation - shivering a little bit.

"Thank you, thank you thank you, I'll be here all week—" Chris bowed and then let out a quick yelp of surprise - not expecting an animal to suddenly race past him, "EEEK! Jeez!"

Sam started to laugh and Chris attempted collected himself as fast as he could, not wanting to appear weak. "Crap that thing freaked me out."

"What was it? Are you okay?" Ashley joined in the laughter too; all three of you giggling at his scared outburst by this point.

"It was like, a bear or a tiger or something—"

"Aw, it was just a cute little baby wolverine!" Sam talked over him in a babyish voice, sending him a smug smirk.

"Baby?" Chris huffed as you picked up your luggage with amusement.

"Don't worry buddy, you're gonna be a big boy soon." Josh playfully teased from behind you all; squeezing your shoulder before everyone made their own individual way inside.

"Home sweet home." Josh held his arms out and moved into the middle of the main room, giving a little twirl once he'd entered.

"Sweet is not the word I'd use." Matt muttered under his breath, sounding somewhat irritated by something.

"Oh my gosh it's SO GOOD to be inside." Ashley breathed in relief, "Even if it's still kinda freezing in here."

"Hey it's not that bad." You tried to look on the bright side; sitting down on the sofa and placing your luggage down in front of you before hugging your knees. "It's better than being outside, Ashley."

"I'll get a fire going." Josh decided, moving in the direction of the fireplace.

"This place barely looks any different." Matt mentioned offhandedly, looking around and still acting rather...sulky...?

"Nobody's been up here." Josh responded nonchalantly, working on the fire.

"Even with all the police coming in and out?" Sam wondered as well, her eyes trailing around the lodge just like the others.

"Not a lot of action up here lately." Chris chipped in as he shrugged his shoulders.

"Nope." Josh nodded, silence befalling the main room for a few seconds.

Why only a few seconds? Because—

"What's up party people!"
"Heeey!" The person you despised the most - Mike - entered the room, along with Jess; both of whom were acting extremely energetic while they made their way towards you all.