Chapter 2

3 years before TNCF

I dodged as Casey's foot hurled itself towards me, missing me by a bare inch.

I crouched and swiped her legs under her, causing her to fall onto her back on the mattress.

She rolled backwards to put some space between us and I used that to catch my breath as sweat trickled down my forehead.

We eyed each other up before Casey charged once again, aiming for my midriff.

I sidestepped her and grabbed her attacking arm, twisting it and holding her in a triangle lock.

With her other hand, she quickly tapped my arm three times and I immediately let go of my grip.

"Can we be done for the day already?" Casey asked.

I tsked at her, "Giving up already?"

Casey looked at me with tired and begging eyes, "We've been at it for 2 hours already. Aren't you tired?"

I nodded, agreeing. "I am tired," I paused, "Tired of waiting for you to get back up."

"When are you going to ever land a blow on me?" I teased her.

Casey stuck her tongue out at me, "Oh please, I just don't want to hurt your pretty face and get on your girlfriend's bad side."

I looked at her challengingly, "Oh is that so?"

"Yeah, of course. I've just been going easy on you." Casey said in a mock nonchalant tone.

"Right, right." I played along, walking to where our water bottles are and tossed her hers.

"Exactly, I'm basically on the highway to be a pro. So, on that note, when can I go with you to your hideout and watch you fight?" She asked me with a gleam in her wide eyes.

I gave her a look. Of course she had something in mind.

"I told you it's a dangerous place." I told her for the nth time.

The Underground Place.

An illegal street-fighting spot where people gather and place bets on the fighters.

I first discovered it through a friend a few months ago and the first time I came back with a bruised face, Casey freaked out and was worried at first but after telling her stories about the fights and showing her the new moves I learnt from watching the fights, she became interested in tagging along. She's been helping me treat the bruises I got from the fights ever since she found out. I've never been more grateful to have such busy parents. That was one less thing to worry about whenever I come home with a black eye.

"I'm gonna be just fine, Bry. You trained me yourself. We spend 2 hours training like we just did almost every day. I'd say that I'm pretty capable of protecting myself." Casey rambled, still not backing down.

I shook my head, giving her my 'You're-not-going-and-that's-final' look.

"But Bry!" She whined.

She scrambled across the mat to where I was sitting and latched onto my arm, eyes widened and lips jutted out into an exaggerated pout.

"I'll be good, I promise." She negotiated.

I shook my head, still not convinced.

"But you'll be there with me the entire time anyways. You can keep an eye on me, can't you? Please? I really want to go!" She begged some more.

The longer that I looked at her, the more upset she looked and the harder it was for me to say no.

Damn it.