Chapter 28

"Yeah, just drop by any time you feel like it, Bryant. I've got no plans tonight so I'll probably be home. I'll text you my address." General Reeves said through the phone.

"Thank you, General. I'll call you when I'm on my way there." I spoke into the phone before hanging up.

It's been a few days since I last heard from Dom. If our fight the other day didn't happen, I wouldn't have thought much about his silence since we weren't the kind of friends who had to talk to each other every day to stay close but how we left things off the last time we met made me worried.

I checked his social media account to see if he was active or had made any posts lately but found nothing that eased my worries. Maybe I was too hard on him..

But what was I supposed to do?

Deep down I knew that I didn't regret what I did that day because I knew I did what I had to do to help Casey. It just didn't sit right with me that I ended up hurting one of my close friends while doing so.

Sighing, I decided to put away my phone and looked up, only to grimace.

Did I forget to mention it was the day of the party we were dreading?

I say we because I'm pretty sure that Casey silently dreaded it too.

Casey walked into the room with a minidress that stopped short just a few inches below her butt with spaghetti straps that looked like they would snap easily.

I shook my head. "Hell no."

Casey rolled her eyes at me as if she had anticipated my reaction. What else did she expect me to say? "Oh wow you look amazing, Case, all the guys at that party will definitely have their eyes on you?"

"It's just a dress, Bry. Look, it's not showing any cleavage. I picked it out because I know how you feel about revealing clothes." She pointed out, gesturing to the neckline of the dress.

She's right, it didn't showcase any cleavage, but it still didn't make me feel better about the dress.

"And this is not revealing?" I asked her, bewildered.

"Is it not?" She challenged, eyebrows raised, hands still gesturing to her dress.

"I don't know," I groaned, furrowing my eyebrows at the sight. "Can't you put on some pants?"

Casey gave me a look that said, "Really?"

I widened my eyes as if to say "Why the fuck not."

I eyed the hemline of the dress that was too short for my comfort. Casey followed my line of sight and sighed. "Come on, bro, you can't expect me to wear a dress that's knee-length and all that shit to a high school party. This is the best dress that I could think of. It's not skintight and no cleavage to meet your demands, but still risqué enough for a high school party that I want to fit in."

"Risqué?" I scrunched up my nose at her choice of words. "Really?"

She shrugged at me, walking past me to get to the shoe rack by the front door.

"Do you even know what that means?" I followed her closely as she stopped by the shoe rack and rummaged around to find a suitable pair of footwear.

"I don't know, it's the new slang or whatever. I get the gist of it but of course not the textbook meaning. Stop showing off your smart shit, everyone knows you're smart." She answered dismissively, managing to slip in a diss for yours truly in there.

I shook my head, watching her in disbelief as she took out the pair of heels Mom bought her. I remembered her telling Mom that she'll probably never wear them but Mom insisted, saying that at least she'll have one if the time that she needs one ever comes.