Chapter 18

Dom: I overheard one of the guys telling Jax that the package will arrive tonight.

I stole a glimpse at him over my phone. He was slouching in his seat that was across mine, his finger tapping his phone impatiently. His eyes left his phone and caught mine.

I looked down at the text and typed up a response.

Me: You know where?

Dom: I've got an address.

Me: Okay, we'll meet at your house.

"What are you doing?" Casey asked, peeking at my phone over my shoulder as she leaned closer to me.

I quickly turned off the screen and angled it away from her, smiling teasingly. "Nothing."

Casey narrowed her eyes, "You're acting suspicious."

I looked around, "What? Me? Suspicious?"

Casey shook her head, laughing as she waved her finger between Dom and I. "It was obvious that you guys were texting each other, Bry. But if I didn't know any better, I would've thought you were cheating on Maddy with the way you hid your phone."

I saw Dom whip his head around to look at Casey at the exact same time I did. Was it that obvious?

Casey laughed at us, "You guys would make terrible spies."

"They'd be the lamest spies," Maddy agreed as she plopped down on the seat on my other side.

"Hi, babe." I greeted her with a smile.

Her smile was a breath of fresh air. I've missed it.

"Lucky that there won't be a need for them to be spies, right?" Maddy asked Casey as they laughed together.

I turned to Dom, raising my eyebrows at him like 'Well, we're officially fucked.'

Dom shrugged his shoulders in a 'Well, what can you do about it?' gesture.

We were sitting in the cafeteria, I had ditched the boys to have lunch with the girls and Dom today. It wasn't everyday that I do this but I've been on edge lately, ever since dangerous threats have appeared in our lives.

I physically needed these people to be within my sights as much as possible.

Casey and Maddy chatted with each other for the rest of our lunch break, making me the awkward barrier in the middle of them. When the bell rang, we all parted to get to our respective classes but not before I sent a look at Dom that I hope he understood as "I'll see you later".

He nodded and walked away so I assumed he got the meaning behind the look.

Classes drew on for the rest of the day. Nothing out of the ordinary happened except for some of the occasional pranks the boys pulled. I do feel bad for the teachers but some of them did kind of deserve it and the laugh we get out of it is honestly my guilty pleasure.

When the day finally came to an end, I waited by the car for Casey to come out of her class. My last class had ended early because someone pulled a prank on the teacher, decorating the back of his pants with dripping blood red paint. It was also one of those rare days that I didn't have practice because Coach called in sick.

I knew that I won't always get this lucky and that I'll have to start figuring out how to juggle my life and this Mafia thing I've got going.

Call me selfish but I didn't want to give up on my studies and dreams and football just because of the shit going on in my life.

I will come out of this situation unscathed, without having to sacrifice anything.

I can do this.