Chapter 14

We arrived at a quiet block in the slump of town. A few meters down the road was a cluster of pubs and clubs with blinding neon lights that lit up the night. The streetlamps were dim candle lights compared to them.

It wasn't the best neighbourhood. The area had gone on TV several times, notorious for its crime rate.

The jeeps lined up by the curb and everyone except the drivers got off the vehicles. "Let's start playing, boys!" Quentin howled as he led the small army with his shotgun in hand.

The malice and coldness in his eyes as he grinned reminded me of the Joker's. Once the jeeps were empty, we started driving away, a jeep after another, and started our 15-minute drive.

It was probably nearing the end of our first round when the sound of the first gunshot rang through the air. My head whipped towards the direction it came from and a horrifying scene greeted my wide eyes as I drove by the dark alley.

Kids were scurrying out of a fire exit door with their mothers as bullets ricocheted off the walls. Their screams penetrated my jeep's windows as their mothers pulled them close and shielded them.

My hands moved on their own accord as it turned the wheel and caused the car to swerve to the side. I parked and practically fell out of the jeep before running to the scene.

I didn't know what I was doing but once the scene reappeared in front of me, my whole body froze.

A woman tripped and fell with her child by the door of the emergency exit and crawled away to put some distance between the door and her.

Not a second after, a man stepped out of the door, walking backwards with his hands raised in surrender.

A gun came into my view next, pointed at the man's head.

The man kept walking backwards and the gun moved along with him, maintaining the distance between them.

The gunman finally revealed himself, stepping away from behind the door.

Quentin's smile was twisted as he quirked an eyebrow at the man and taunted him, waving his gun around as if there were no shrieking children that fearfully hiding behind their mothers near him.

"That's why you should never steal from me, Larry. Didn't anyone tell you that I'm someone you should never piss off?" Quentin shook his head, clucking his tongue at Larry in mock dismay.

Larry's eyes flitted towards the woman and little boy that exited the building right before he did.

I followed his eyes and saw that both mother and son were in tears, staring at the unfolding scene before them with fear-stricken looks.

They must be his family.

Larry fell to his knees and started grovelling by Quentin's feet.

"Please, I'll do whatever you want me to do. Just please don't do this here." Larry begged.

Quentin's laughter bounced off the walls of the alley and echoed into the night.

"Oh, don't do this here? Why? Are you scared that this will scar your family forever? Don't worry, their forever won't be as long as you think it is. They'll be right behind you." Quentin's eyes went unnervingly detached as he raised his gun again and aimed it at Larry's head, pressing the weapon between Larry's brows and pulled the trigger.

The deafening noise made my ears ring and for the next few minutes, I couldn't hear anything else but the ringing.

My legs weakened along with Larry's lifeless body that fell sideways onto the hard ground.