Chapter 22

We stepped into the restaurant and told them we had made a reservation under Johnson.

A waiter led us to a table where a man in a collared shirt sat, talking into his phone.

When he saw us approaching, he waved and said a few words into the phone before hanging up and stashing the device away, smiling widely at my parents.

"I thought you stood me up!" He joked, standing from his seat to warmly greet my parents with hugs.

Dad slightly turned his body to let the man see Casey and I clearly.

"This is Bryant, my oldest." I smiled as Dad made the introductions, stepping forward and offering my hand.

He took my hand and shook it firmly. He gave Dad a look of surprise, "Strong grip your kid has there." He sounded impressed.

I gave him another smile before letting go and taking a step back to let Casey shake his hand.

"This is Cassandra. She's only a couple of years younger than Bryant."

The man gave Casey a kind smile and shook her hand.

"Kids, this is General Reeves." Brief introduction, which is good, since I wouldn't understand much if he started going into the details of his rank and position or where he was stationed.

I doubt Dad even knew or remembered those details. Our family was very much business-oriented. Our lives basically revolve around the business world and I guess you could say we don't really know much outside of that. An example would be military stuff.

One thing I know about military, though, a general is a pretty high rank.

I know it might sound silly for this to come from an 18 year old boy but I honestly have always thought generals were old intimidating men. Not like my parents old. More like grandparents old.

Since I assume that it'll take a person quite some time to climb up the ranks to get to a general position. He must have done something great to be acknowledged as a general.

I didn't have any prior experience that caused a trauma for me to have the bias that generals are intimidating. I just simply assumed that the intimidating vibes and looks came with the job description. I mean it makes sense, doesn't it?

It makes sense in my head, at least.

Might sound dumb if I said that aloud.

But General Reeves was anything but intimidating. He had warm hazel eyes that were crinkled at the edges with marks of happiness.

Aside from his buzz cut, nothing about him screamed 'military dude'. Maybe it was because of the fact that he wasn't in uniform, but I wouldn't have pegged him as a general.

I mean, sure, he has a big build and he was really fit. But so is every other gym addict.

You should really never judge a person by their looks. You never know who you're messing with.

My heart genuinely goes out for the guy that decides to pick a fight with this man.

This is why you should always be nice to people, kids. Don't take your chances. Next thing you know, the people you're offending might be a high ranking officer that can whoop your ass before you can even say "oh shit."

We took our seats once the introductions have been made. The adults sat at one side while Casey and I sat opposite of them.

A waiter stopped at our table to take our orders and once he walked away to pass it to the kitchen, the general turned to look at Casey and I.