Chapter 9

I think I heard this from a movie once, "Time flies quicker when you'd like it to stop." I found it to be quite true.

It was Friday already, I can barely stand being in the same room with Dom, although a couple of days has passed since our argument. I guess how stubborn he acted still irked me whenever it pops into my head.

My first mission assigned by the Mafia will be executed tonight and I feel like I could do anything for anyone who can freeze time so that tonight will never come.

It was lunch time already and the canteen hall was packed with a sea of students as usual.

I stuffed my hands into my pockets and hunched my shoulders to avoid knocking anyone over. I grew up to be a pretty big guy. Quite a handful people has commented on my shoulder's width supposedly being wider than average.

I fell in line with everyone else as we queued to buy some lunch.

I gave the canteen lady a brief smile as I skimmed through the variety of food they're serving today.

"Something troubling you, kiddo?" Mrs. Keys asked as she scooped up a spoonful of everything I pointed at and dumping it onto an empty plate for me.

I looked up at her after I finished pointing at the things I wanted to eat and flashed her a small smile.

"Are you a mind reader?" I joked lamely as I handed her some cash for the food.

"Boy, please, it's written all over your face." Mrs. Keys took the money and gave me my change while giving my hand a gentle pat. "Whatever it is, make sure to not skip your meals and look after your health."

I gave the sweet old lady a smile. I think I'm familiar with almost all the school staff, from the canteen lady, the janitors to the gardeners. They've always been friendly with me. But I guess that's because I smile at them and acknowledge their existence as well as their hard work unlike the ignorant students that walk past them as if they don't exist.

"Thanks, Mrs. Keys, you too." I said as I took my tray and turned around to look for an empty spot to sit at.

I didn't feel like hanging out with my friends today, having to put up a façade. The thought of what's going to happen tonight is enough to keep me tense, I don't need to add any unnecessary chore that'll drain me even further.

As I looked around, I made a very brief eye contact with Maddy who stared at me. Even as I averted my gaze, I could feel the weight of her stare boring a hole into the side of my face.

I walked to the other side of the hall and took a seat on an empty table. Not long after I sat down and picked up my spoon to start digging in, Maddy sat down on the empty seat opposite of me wordlessly.

My actions paused, not expecting her to make the first move to approach me so brazenly.

I kept my head down and sipped on the soup on my spoon.

"Are you going to keep ignoring me?" Maddy asked. I can hear her voice waver with the emotions behind it.

My fingers clutched onto the spoon in my hand, causing my fingertips to turn white. I slowly raised my head and looked at Maddy. Sure enough, her eyes were starting to turn glassy.

Maddy has always been sensitive about being ignored. Her parents weren't the most attentive parents and she made me promise to never give her the silent treatment.

I held myself back from reaching out to comfort her.

"Why are you avoiding me?" She asked again.

I didn't know how to answer her. I didn't know what to say to her. So I ended up looking at her like an idiot as she gets more and more upset as time ticks by.