Chapter 11

I arrived by the pier at dawn and someone was already waiting for the truck to roll in, waving his hand to direct where I should park the truck.

Once I parked the truck and got off it, the man approached me and handed me a key.

He didn't say anything, just nodded at the bike parked in a distance behind the truck.

I looked at the key in my hand and back at the man who was walking towards the back of the truck to the container's opening.

I walked away slowly, keeping my ears open for the sound of the container being opened.

I couldn't just walk away without at least trying to find out what was in that container. Although I doubt it was anything good, I should know what I've just delivered and what kind of mess I had just contributed to.

But the wail of the container's doors being opened never came, causing me to turn my head and see what was happening. The man that gave me the key to the bike watched me like a hawk with his arms crossed over his chest.

He jerked his head, telling me to get lost with his glare.

I turned away and walked to the bike.

I looked at the man one last time as I got on the bike and fastened my helmet.

He was still standing there, unmoving, keeping his sharp eyes on me.

I sighed, knowing that it was best for me to not act up.

'The job is done. Let's not stir up trouble, Johnson.' I told myself as I took off.

I stopped by the empty warehouse and switched bikes before making my way back home.

When I finally arrived home, Casey went out to the porch with her phone in hand.

"Where have you been?" She demanded.

My eyes widened a bit as my eyebrows shot to my hairline.

"You're awake?" I asked the obvious.

I tried to downplay my surprise as Casey gave me a deadpan look.

"Why didn't you answer your phone?" She asked, checking my bike.

I patted my phone in my pocket and parted my lips. "Ah, really? It barely had any battery left when I went out, it must've died."

I gave her a sheepish smile as Casey clicked her tongue.

"Where are you coming back from?" She asked.

I took the bag out of the small compartment under the bike's seat and showed it to her.

"I went out to get us breakfast."

"This early in the morning?" Casey eyed the bag sceptically.

Fortunately, I stopped by McDonald's on the way home in case Casey did wake up before I got back. That served as the perfect alibi. Nothing distracts Casey more than food does.

I pulled the edges of my lips to form a smile. Why don't you drop the suspicion now, little sister?

"Yes, this early in the morning. I woke up really early for some reason and got hungry. Forget it, if you don't want any. I'm hungry enough to eat everything I bought." I shrugged, taking the bag with me as I walked past her and into the house.

Casey finally dropped the interrogation as the smell of food wafted past her and she followed me into the house like a lost puppy.

We sat on the dining table and I got us some plates from the kitchen cabinet as Casey rummaged the bag to take out the food.