Epilogue

The car had toppled over and had landed on its side. Casey was under me. I could feel the liquid that drenched my eyelids, preventing me from cracking my eyes open. I felt the pressure on my arm that laid under Casey's head to protect it from the jostling that happened as the car swerved and fell sideways. I couldn't feel my lower half either but from the movements that Casey made under me, I knew that I've successfully cocooned her.

Through the blinding pain, I heard Casey's cries and screams over a faint hissing noise. Every movement she made that nudged any part of my body would flare a new set of pain that threatened to knock me out. But amidst the unbearable pain, I felt relief in my heart.

My little sister was okay. She was alive. She was moving.

That was all I needed.

"No No NO! Bry? Bry?! No, this cannot be happening. Bry?! Wake up, please wake up!" I heard her plead and beg under me but no matter how much I tried to comply, my eyes felt as if they had been glued shut.

The sound of her sobs and screams broke me. After a few minutes, her voice was cracking and hoarse but she kept on going, desperation heavy in her voice.

"HELP! SOMEONE HELP US! PLEASE! HELP! SOMEONE PLEASE!" She started to squirm under me and I could feel her hand trying to worm its way out but her movements just caused another wave of pain throughout my mangled body. I wanted to tell her to keep going, though, in spite of the excruciating pain that came with every movement she made, I wanted to tell her to get out of the car and get to safety.

But she stopped moving and I felt my heart thud painfully in my chest, thinking that something was wrong with my little sister but I heard her voice after a few seconds and the grip that fear had on my heart loosened slightly. "Bry?! Hang on! Don't leave me! Bry-"

I wanted to cry with her. I can't believe that this had to happen to us. We've made it this far, gotten past all those obstacles, withstood walking on that path covered with shards of glass, only to lie here.

I can't imagine what impact this would have on her for the rest of her life from this moment onwards. I almost hoped that God would let her come with me to wherever I was going next just thinking about it. At least then I could look out for her, protect her, like what I've been doing so far.

I wanted to smoothen her hair down and tell her that things will be okay. 

I wanted to tell her to keep her head up and reassure her that she's strong enough to get through anything and everything that life is gonna throw at her. 

Because I know she was.

She has to be.

I can't imagine leaving her in this world all by herself, a world without me to protect her, with all that danger lurking around her. It tore me apart and worried me to death but all I could do at that moment was pray as earnestly as I could to God, the most earnest I have ever been in my life. I didn't know who else to turn to at that point. I remember thinking, hoping, that God really did exist.

Not because I knew I was in the brink of my life. But because I needed that thought to reassure me that someone will be watching out for my little Casey once I'm gone.

"Smile, little one, and don't let anyone, or anything, bring you down. Stand tall and be proud of yourself." I wanted to tell her. But the burning pain in my lungs wouldn't let me.

It felt like something was pooling in my lungs and my guess was that a broken rib had punctured it. It was getting harder to breathe. I tried to cough it out but a gargling sound came out instead, liquid trickling out between my lips and trailing down my chin.

I knew by the amount of pain I was experiencing that things weren't looking good for me, but even in my dying moment, I couldn't stop myself from thinking; "At least I went down on my feet, fighting, and not on my knees, surrendering."

I thought about the papers I had hid in the dashboard compartment and hoped that someone would find it and finish what I did.

But I have done what I could and gave my very best.

I was slowly losing my consciousness and I felt liquid trickle down my cheeks but I didn't know if it was blood or tears. My only regret was not being able to smile at Casey one last time and reassure her that things will be okay; that she will be okay; for just one final time before I left.

The despair in her screams was more heartbreaking than the thought of leaving this world. It was the sound I knew would haunt me even to the afterlife. It was the sound that hits you so deep that it reverberated in your bones, in your soul. 

I wanted to apologize for not being able to keep my promise, for failing to protect her from all the hurt that she was feeling, I wanted to apologize for not being able to at least stay by her side while she faces all this. I wanted to apologize for leaving her alone in this world, to tell her that this isn't what I wanted. I wanted to tell her that I tried my best.

I'm sorry. I love you. I'll always be proud of you. I'm sorry.

So with that last apology to the sister I've loved more than myself, I took my last breath and left.

——————

The tow truck came after the ambulance took off with the victims of the crash and left the scene of the accident.

Since it was perceived as a drunk driving accident, the police waved at the men who got out of the tow truck to take the demolished car away.

The two men hooked the car, taking a quick look at the doors of the car.

Whilst the police were looking away, arresting the drunk truck driver, one of the men who disguised himself as an employee of the tow truck company quickly opened up the car's dashboard compartment and swiped the filed documents sitting there. He slipped them inside his jacket and zipped it up swiftly, walking back to the truck in the dark shadows of the night to avoid being caught by the police.

When he got in the truck, he unzipped his jacket and showed it to his partner.

Once his partner saw that the package has been retrieved, he quickly started the engine and drove away before anyone noticed that the truck wasn't from an operating company.

~•~•~

"I'm sorry." 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

I know I wrote this story and I came up with everything myself but I won't lie. I cried like a baby writing Bryant's death scene for the nth time.

It just hits different, okay, don't judge 😭💔

I'm sorry for the hearts I broke with this epilogue but sadly, it had to be done.

Thank you for sticking with me throughout all 3 books 😭❤️ I love you guys so much. I can't thank you enough for all your support and love 💗

I will forever be grateful ❤️