FOUR YEARS AGO

Dylan watched his Dad sprawled out on the sofa, snoring loudly. The floor and sofa were covered in empty bottles of beer. The television was on, blaring music so loud, it made Dylan wince. It didn't seem to bother his Dad though. Dylan sighed and tiptoed between the bottles until he located the remote. He switched the television off, thankful for the silence and perched on a footstool opposite the sofa, looking at his Dad. He sighed and glanced at the clock. It was four o'clock in the afternoon and his Dad was so drunk that he had forgotten it was his last day of school. He'd forgotten to pick Dylan up and Dylan had walked the five mile journey with all his books stuffed into his bag. He had a lot of books and by the time he had opened the door to the house, he could feel the straps digging into his shoulders, causing blisters.

His phone buzzed and he ignored it. He wanted to ignore it all. He was done. School was over, he was going to University after the summer to study English and he wouldn't have to deal with this anymore.

His phone buzzed again and Dylan frowned. He made his way out of the living room, closing the door shut behind him. He answered it just as he began to climb the stairs to his room.

"Dyl, where are you?" Si shouted down the phone. In the background, there was chants and singing. 

"At home."

"Fuck that, man! Come on! We're finished school! Get your ass to the pub!"

Dylan didn't want to go. He knew who would be there.

"Who's there?"He asked, tentatively.

"Me, Mike and Oliver will be round soon," Si slurred slightly and Dylan winced, knowing that he was already drunk.

"It's just the guys?"

"Yeah. I mean, Maze is working behind the bar later but she's not going to annoy us."

Ah, fuck.

Dylan ran his hand threw his hair, "You know what, I'm going to give it a miss. I've got some stuff to do here and.."

"Dyl, piss off. Come on, please? We miss you man, we hardly see you anymore."

Dylan raised his eyes heavenward, hoping for some divine intervention but none came.

"Ok. I'll be there soon."

"Great! I'll message Maze and get her to pick you up on her way in, she'll be leaving her house soon."

"No. No, I'll walk."

"Fuck that, let her bring you in and I'll see you soon."

Si ended the call and Dylan sighed.

Shit.

He headed upstairs and changed quickly, pulling on a pair of old jeans and a white t-shirt. He shoved his feet into his chucks and walked out the house, sitting on the step and waited for her.It was a ten minute drive. It would be fine. What can happen in ten minutes?

Maisie's busted yellow car careened into the driveway, windows down and music blaring. She leaned out of the driver's side and waved at Dylan, her lips stretched into a perfect smile. In spite of his misgivings he felt himself smile back.  He stood up and walked towards the car and stumbled a bit when she climbed out.

"Dylan! Hi! Sorry, I'll open the door for you, I don't know what Bee has done to it but the damn thing won't open." She spun around and walked around the car to the passenger door where she began to wiggle the handle and pull it.

Dylan's mouth dried at the sight of Maisie's legs in a pair of light denim shorts. They seemed to go on for miles. She was wearing a grey top with the pub's logo embossed above her left breast and a pair of old white chucks. Her hair was pulled back from her face in a clip. God, she was beautiful.

Dylan blinked the thought away and followed her just as she gave the door a final pull and landed against Dylan's chest with force. He gripped her arms to prevent her falling to the ground.

"Oooft! Sorry, Dylan! Bloody door, Bee is such a cow sometimes," She straightened, flashed another smile then darted around and climbed back in.

"Come on!"

Dylan tried to ignore the smell of her perfume and how soft her skin felt when he'd held her. He slid into the seat and fastened the seatbelt. Maisie peeled out of the driveway and headed to the pub.

"Who's Bee? Is she a friend of yours?" Dylan asked, trying to fill the silence and to try to quiet his thoughts.

Don't think about the feel of her skin.

Don't think about her laugh.

Don't think about her smile. 

Maisie laughed and Dylan's heart skipped a beat. He imagined him reaching out and holding her hand, her head turning to look at him, smiling wide.

He grimaced and looked out the window.

"No, this is Bee, " she said, caressing the steering wheel. "She's a rickety old bitch but I love her."

They continued the journey in silence until she pulled up outside the pub, The Clocktower.

"Thanks for the in depth conversation as always, Dyl. It's been good, " she teased as she switched the engine off.

Dylan snorted and she threw him a look of surprise then laughed at him again.

"I have, " she checked her watch, "ten minutes until I have to go in and you have to deal with the guys. Tell me something, are you excited for Uni?"

He nodded, "I am. I can't wait to see somewhere new and study something I love. What are you doing? Uni?"

A flash of disappointment flickered across her face, "Not this year, I'm working at the studio with my Aunt. Next year though and you'll be able to show me around the campus like a professional."

Dylan flushed at the thought of him and Maisie around campus. Just the two of them, talking. Her laughing. Her legs encased in those shorts. Her smile, those lips.

Maisie's door was suddenly flung open and Si's head popped in.

"Making a move on my girl, Dyl?" He teased as he unfastened Maisie's seatbelt and pulled her out.

Dylan's stomach clenched as he climbed out the car and watched Si cup Maisie's head with his hand and push his lips to hers. She slid her arms around his neck and pulled him close.

Dylan kept walking until he was in the pub and pulled into a drunken hug from Mike. He didn't say thanks to Maisie for the ride, she didn't even know that he wasn't there.

She had Si.

And he fucking hated it.