DYLAN

I tried to ignore the gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach as I climbed the flight of stairs up to Maze's flat. I'd never been here before and I was torn between being intrigued about what her home was like and dreading what would happen.The bag holding a bottle of wine and some beers clattered against each other as I stopped in front of the cherry red door. I sighed, wishing that I wasn't doing this and I raised my fist to knock when it swung open then I was pulled into a hug.

"Dyl!" Mike roared into my ear. He squeezed me tighter and I felt the last puff of air leave my body.

"Mike..air.." I choked.

Mike let go, letting me slump against the wall, " So glad you're here, mate! I've barely seen you! Listen, there's someone I want you to meet."

Before I could blink, Mike was dragging me down a cream hallway into a room at the end. I paused, taking in Maze's living room. There was a couple of soft grey sofas, covered in purple blankets, that had been pushed against the walls to give more space. A coffee table in the middle was covered in half empty glasses and bottles. The walls were painted cream but covered in paintings. Soft music was playing and there was lots of people milling about. I looked around but couldn't see Si or Maze.

Mike dragged me towards a petite, brunette with hazel eyes. She had a bright smile and blushed when she saw Mike.

"Dyl, this is Hannah. Hannah, this is Dylan. We lived together all through Uni, guy needs a medal."

Mike let go of me and bent down to kiss Hannah on the cheek, her blush deepened and I watched as Mike stared down at her like she was made of stars.

"Hi, nice to meet you," I said, shaking her hand.

"Hi," she said softly and smiled at me.

Mike beamed at us both, "Hannah and I met at the Clocktower the first night we got back. She finished Uni this year too, she's going to be a primary school teacher."

Hannah slipped her hand into Mike's, who puffed up his chest. I bit my lip to stop myself from chuckling, images of Mike at the bars at Uni complaining about our other friends falling in love and into relationships flashed before my eyes as Mike and Hannah smiled at each other.

"I'm..I'm going to grab a drink. Do you guys want anything?" I asked.

"No, we're good," they said simultaneously and burst out laughing.

I backed away from the romantic movie playing out before me and turned around to find the kitchen. I fidgeted with the hem of my white t-shirt and walked past a few groups of people, smiling at a couple of people I knew. I moved back into the hallway and turned right into the kitchen. I grinned in spite of myself, there was pictures of Maze and her family all over the walls. Placing the bag I had brought on the kitchen table, I reached in and opened a beer.

"Hi Dylan," I heard behind me. I turned and nearly swallowed my tongue in shock.

Maze was wearing a fitted long sleeved, blue floral dress that stopped above her knees. Her curls were all gathered over left shoulder. I could see the freckles scattered across her cheeks and nose. I blinked, stunned into silence at how beautiful she was. She moved towards me, barefoot so when she stopped in front of me, her head stopped at my chest.

"Maze," I muttered. She tilted her head up to meet my gaze and my vision narrowed so that I could only see her. Fuck, that's what happens every time I see her.

"Do you think we could talk?" she said so softly that I had to lean closer towards her.

"Sure."

Maze glanced over her shoulder then looked back up at me, "There's a terrace up on the roof, can we go there?"

I nodded. She turned and stopped when I reached out and touched her hand with mine. Shit, what was I doing? I shoved my hand into my pocket, gripped my beer bottle tightly with the other and followed her as she slipped out into the hallway. I watched her as she slid her feet into sandals and let her lead the way out of the flat, up a flight of stairs and through a door onto the roof. There was a wooden pergola covered in fairylights and we sat next to each other on the bench underneath it.

"It's nice up here, " I said, breaking the silence.

Maze nodded, looking down at the ground.

"Sorry, I was late, I.."

"You didn't want to come, did you?" Maze said.

"No, I didn't," I confessed.

Maze threw her head back and looked up into the sky, she blinked slowly then closed her eyes.

"I didn't want to come either," she said.

I watched her, puzzled, as she straightened up and looked at me with those beautiful blue eyes. I remembered the first time I'd seen her and I'd known that this girl would be important to me.

"I'm sorry for what happened at the beach, Dylan. I don't want things to be awkward between you and Si.I shouldn't have kissed you, it was just a huge mistake. I'd really like it if we could forget about it and be friends? I could really use one of those just now."

Hurt blazed through me but I found myself nodding. I'd do anything she asked of me.

"Consider it forgotten. I need to know though, Maze. Those marks on your body, is.. is someone hurting you?"

Maze gave her head a quick shake, "No. I'd hurt myself when I was out walking along the coast line a few days before, slipped on a wet rock and landed oddly. I'm alright."

She smiled at me but it didn't reach her eyes.

I reached out and laid my hand on top of hers, "I'll always be here for you, Maze. No matter what."

Maze's hand trembled beneath mine and I wanted nothing more than to wrap her up in my arms and breathe in her sweet lemon smell and hold her close. But I didn't.

I moved my hand and picked at the label on the beer bottle, "Where's Si?"

Maze shrugged, "He's around."

I slid my glasses up my nose. "So, what have you been doing? Working?"

Maze immediately brightened at the change of subject, "Yeah. I have a few days off now so I'm going to do some surfing, maybe do some forest walks. Did you know that there's some waterfalls not far from here? I've never been."

I nodded, "I do. It was one of my Mum's favourite places. I could show you if you like?"

I'm a bloody big idiot. She doesn't want me. I need to let this go.

Maze grinned at me, "That would be gr.."

"Dylan! There you are!"

Maze visibly jumped as Si appeared next to me, a blonde haired girl trailing behind him. She was pretty, wearing a loose pink dress and sandals.

"Hey," I smiled at them, standing to give Si one of those awkward guy side hugs that we never seem to get right.

"This is Rachel, she works with me. I was telling her about you and thought I should introduce you to her. I thought you guys would hit it off. "

Rachel smiled at me. I watched as Si sat down next to Maze, pulling her tight to him as she rested her head on his shoulder, gazing into the distance.

She didn't want me. She wants to forget about the kiss. She just wants to be friends.

I need to do this.

I smiled at Rachel, "Can I get you a drink?"

Rachel reached out and held onto my hand, "Sure. That would be great."

We walked towards the doorway, Si whispering something into Maze's ear but I kept my gaze fixed ahead, not looking back at the one person who holds my heart entirely in her hands.

It'll be ok, in the end. I'm sure it will.

I only fucking wish it didn't hurt so much.