DYLAN

Mike placed three beers onto the table and sat down next to Si. We were sitting outside the Clocktower and, even though it was early evening, the sun was still shining brightly. People were scattered around but, as the pub backed onto the shore, most were lying on the sand and drinking there. I looked out and thought about the night that Maze had joined me. I thought about the bolt of electricity that had raced up my arm when I'd touched her and I thought about why she had been upset. She had never told me. Although, I had never asked again.

"Dyl. Dyl!" A hand waved in front of my face. I broke out of my thoughts and looked at Si. He looked at me, unimpressed.

"Mate, I haven't seen you in months and you're not even listening to me?" He asked, his voice full of scorn.

Mike threw a bemused look at me and took a large gulp of beer.

"Sorry, man," I said. "I was just thinking about Maze and.."

"What about Maze?" Si interjected sharply.

I raised my eyebrows, "She told me that my Dad was dating one of her Auntie's. That he was sober. I was thinking that I haven't seen my Dad sober in over five years. It's like she was talking about someone else."

Si had the decency to blush, "Sorry, I should have told you about your Dad and Jem but I figured he would have told you already. I mean, it's been going on for a while. Don't you two talk?"

Mike coughed, "Fuck, Si, take it easy mate."

"We talk," I replied. I glanced at my watch and decided that I was going to head back home. Si was clearly heading down a drunken path that would involve making me feel small and I didn't have the energy for it. He never did act like that to Mike or Oliver, when he was back from travelling, just me and as I stood up and grabbed my jacket I wondered why I was friends with him.

"Going to head out guys. See you soon."

I ignored their protests and walked through the dark pub and out the front entrance. I stopped, leaned against the building and ran my hand over my face.

What was I going to do? I couldn't keep doing this every summer or break I had. I couldn't keep thinking about Maze all the time when she wasn't mine to think about. I needed to talk to my Dad and find out why he was keeping secrets from me. I needed to figure out what I was going to do with my degree. My head throbbed and I kept my eyes closed as I inhaled deeply and caught the sweet lemon smell that Maze had wore earlier.

My eyes popped open and there she was, staring at me with a bemused grin. Despite the heat, she was wearing a thick oversized sweater and yoga pants. Her hair was braided down her right side. I felt that familiar and hateful punch in my gut, the one that I got every time that I saw her.

"Watcha doing there?" She teased, moving closer and leaning on the wall next to me.

"I was just heading home, been a bit of a long day," I replied, staring straight ahead.

"I'll give you a lift," Maze said and straightened up.

"No, it's fine. I'll walk."

"Dyl, it's roasting out here. You will surely melt and then all we'll have left of you is a pile of Dylan goo with glasses," She retorted, a smile twitching the sides of her mouth.

God, I loved her smile.

"Look, " she tried again. "Si doesn't know I'm here yet, I'll drive you home and be back before he even begins to wonder where I've gone."

I quirked my eyebrow at her, that was an odd way to think.

"Uh.. ok..sure, that'd be great," I said, torn between not wanting to be near her and wanting, so badly, to be near her.