FOUR YEARS AGO

Maze watched Si place a cup of coffee down in front of her then sat down next to her on the sofa, pulling her into a hug. She sighed contentedly and rested her head against his chest. They were sitting in Si's bedroom, his room full of football trophies and pictures of teams and bands. 

"Do you know what day it is?" Si asked. 

Maze nodded, "Yeah, it's Friday."

Si laughed and tickled her side making her wriggle, "No. It's a special Friday."

Maze tilted her head up to look at him, "Two for one drinks at the Clocktower?"

Si tutted and pushed Maze down onto the sofa and began to tickle her again. She laughed and struggled against him. Si stopped and rested his forehead against hers. She stared up at him and smiled.

"It's our anniversary, isn't it?"

Si kissed her gently and nudged his nose against hers, "Yup."

He sat back and pulled Maze back up into a sitting position. She sat cross-legged and grinned as Si reached behind the sofa and handed her a purple gift bag. 

"Si!" She gasped and took the bag from him. She reached into the bag and pulled out a small green box. She opened it and took out a silver chain with a small sun charm hanging from it. 

"It's beautiful, thank you!" She lifted her hair as Si leaned forward and fastened it around her neck. He brushed her hair away and kissed her again.

Maze blushed and stood up, walking to her bag that was into the corner of Si's room. They had finished school today and were meeting Si's friends at the Clocktower later on that night. She'd be working behind the bar but Si would sit at the table closest and keep her company. He always did that. Since they'd met on that first day, Si had kept Maze close. She had been so unsure about starting a relationship when she planned to leave when school finished but he had been so insistent that she had eventually caved. He was a nice guy, he always looked after her and made sure that she wasn't alone. 

She handed Si an envelope that he tore open and stared at the contents, a voucher for a hotel in Scotland and train tickets, "Maze.."

Maze sat back next to him, "It's just for a weekend, you'll be back on Sunday so that you can still go to work on Monday. What do you think?"

Si looked up at her, his eyes dark, "Why do you want to go to Scotland for the weekend?"

Maze fidgeted under his intent stare, "I thought it would be nice for us to go away for a couple of days. Go on an adventure?"

Si smiled at her, a forced grin that made Maze lean back slightly, "It's.. it's great, thanks."

Maze felt a familiar sick feeling that she'd been experiencing over the past few months with Si, whenever he would become unhappy or uncomfortable about something he would get really quiet and barely speak to her for hours on end until she apologised. Even if it wasn't something she hadn't done. 

Si stood up and walked over to his window, "Kind of make my gift looks shit, doesn't it?"

Maze touched the necklace with her fingertips, "No. Of course it doesn't, it's beautiful. I love it, Si."

Si didn't turn around, he just stared outside. Maze fidgeted as she figured out what to do, how to make this better. She watched as he inhaled , the muscles on his back straining against his grey t-shirt. He'd been playing a lot of rugby with Mike and Oliver and he was starting to carry muscles on top of muscles. Dylan didn't play, Maze would often spot him sitting up in the nosebleed sections of the stand. Everyone would be yelling as the game played and he would have his head tucked into a book, his glasses halfway down his nose. She'd tried to talk to him once but when she tried, he'd retreated into himself and barely looked at her. 

Maze glanced at her watch, she would have to leave soon to go home and get ready for her shift. She stood and walked up behind him, wrapping her arms around his waist. Si froze at her touch.

"I need to go. I'll see you at the pub later?"

Si turned around and gripped her upper arms tightly, "That's it?"

He squeezed and she let a yelp of pain out, "Si, what are you doing?"

"You've just made me look like a complete fool with your fancy gift and you're not even going to say sorry?" He squeezed again, digging his nails into her arms and she struggled to get out of his grasp but he held tight.

Maze felt panic build in her chest, Si had never done this before. What could she do?

"I'm sorry," she forced out, tears forming at the increasing pain. "I'm sorry,Si."

Si pushed her away and she fell flat onto the floor, she stared up at the ceiling in shock. He stepped over and then she heard a ripping noise as he tore her gift into shreds. 

"I don't want to go on a fucking adventure, Maze. We are staying here," he hissed, throwing the pieces into his bin. Si walked out of the room and closed the door.

She wasn't sure how long she lay there but when her phone rang, she scrambled to her bag and answered it.

"Maze?" It was her Auntie Flora.

"Sorry, I'm just leaving. I'll be right there," Maze replied, shocked by how normal she sounded. 

"I've left dinner in the oven for you, please eat something before you go. I'm just heading to the studio. I love you."

"Love you too, have a good class," Maze replied. She ended the call and shouldered her bag, she glanced down at her arms and flinched at the trails of blood and bruises that were forming. She reached into her bag and shoved on her jumper. 

The door opened again and Si walked back in, looking contrite.

"Maze, shit, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you. Are you ok?"

He gathered her up in a hug and kissed the top of her head. She froze, her face buried into his chest. 

"I don't know why you tried to make me look stupid, Maze but I forgive you. It's ok."

In spite of the horror Maze felt, she found herself nodding.

"Thank you," she whispered.

He dropped another kiss onto her head and pushed her away gently, "You better go, don't want to be late for Flora. I'll see you at the Clocktower later, ok?"

Maze stared at him, wondering if she had just dreamt the whole situation. Had she been unconscious for the last ten minutes? Fallen into a wormhole? Was she getting sick and having hallucinations?

Si kissed her on the lips, "Go on."

She nodded again and just as she got to the doorway, he called her name.

Maze looked over her shoulder at him, "Yes?"

"I love you, Maze."

She nodded then walked out of his room, down the stairs and onto the street. She kept the same fixed smile on her face until she got into Bee and felt herself begin to shake. Maze gripped the steering wheel tightly and watched as her knuckles turned white. 

That was the first time that Si had told her that he loved her.