FOUR YEARS AGO

It was the Christmas break from University and Dylan was headed towards home on a train filled with people dressed in Christmas jumpers, singing songs and carrying huge amounts of gift bags. Dylan hated it. Since his mum had died, his Dad wouldn't even acknowledge that the day was any different from the one before it. The first Christmas after Mum was gone, Dad had gone on a four day bender leaving Dylan alone watching old Christmas movies with his Mum's favourite blanket wrapped tight around his shoulders. 

It would probably be the same this year. 

The train conductor announced that he was one stop away from home and he shifted slightly towards the door, keeping a tight grip on his rucksack. There was no air on this train, just a cloying smell of too many people in too small a space. Someone in front of him stepped back and drove a high heel into his foot, he swore internally and cursed Mike for leaving campus early to get home to his happy family with their happy Christmas. Dylan was managing to achieve maximum Grinch level before he'd even left the train. 

Thankfully, the train slowed to his stop and, the minute the doors were open, he was ejected from the carriage just by the sheer volume of people pushing together to rearrange themselves and fight for the now empty seats. Dylan zipped up his coat and headed towards the exit and the cool fresh air.

It was snowing. Dylan was amazed, it never snowed here. He moved to the right of the entrance to the train station and tilted his head back as far as he could. The clouds were grey and heavy as the flakes streamed down onto him. He closed his eyes for a minute and he imagined his Mum was here, hands stretched out trying to catch the flakes in her thin hands. Someone jostled into him and he blinked his eyes open.

"Great place to stop, idiot." The man muttered to him as Dylan apologised and crossed the road and made his way down to the seafront. 

Dylan's home was in the other direction, a solid 45 minute walk but Dylan's feet weren't taking him that way. He'd been away for nearly four months and every single day, he'd thought of Maze. Si would call him, bragging about his new job with his Dad at his accountancy firm and how things were going so well with Maze and all Dylan wanted to do was hang up. He didn't though, he listened and answered Si's questions and he would think of Maze and wish that he could see her. 

Maze's aunt owned a yoga studio that sat along the seafront. It was tucked away, right at the end of the promenade and had been the old fire station that she'd converted.Dylan let his feet take him there, trying to ignore how quick his heart was beating and how cold his nose and hands were becoming. 

He stopped and leaned against the fencing, looking through the huge floor to ceiling windows. The studio looked empty, bathed in a soft warm glow when a door opened and a figure walked in, adjusting mats and dimming the lights.

Dylan's breath caught in his throat at the sight of her. It was Maze. Her blonde hair was longer, the blue ends a thing of the past. She was wearing dark purple yoga pants and a blue long sleeved top that hugged her perfectly. Dylan watched, entranced, as she walked around in confident, fluid movements. Maze stopped at one of the windows and rubbed her shoulder as if it was hurting her then turned and looked straight at Dylan.

He nearly passed out as she frowned then burst in a full grin.She waved enthusiastically at him and rushed out the room. Dylan fidgeted. He couldn't talk to her, he had just wanted to see her, to have something nice to hold onto when he went back home. 

"Dylan!" Maze called, bursting out of the entrance to the studio. She jogged down the path towards him and opened the gate. She'd shoved a grey beanie hat onto her head and wrapped a blue cardigan around her.

"Hi," he said.

She leaned forward and grabbed him into a quick hug, Dylan inhaled her familiar lemon scented perfume and his breath caught in his throat. 

"You're home! It's so good to see you. Si never mentioned you were coming back!" She gently jostled his arm with hers.

"I didn't tell him," he muttered.

Maze blinked at Dylan slowly, "Ok. Is it just a short visit or are you here for the whole winter break? We could all hang out!"

Now that she was closer, Dylan could see again just how beautiful she was. Not that he had forgotten. Her cornflower blue eyes twinkled at him, her nose wrinkling as a snow flake landed on it. Her full lips turned up into a smile as she looked at him patiently, waiting for an answer. 

"I, I can't. I'm going back in a couple of days."

That was a lie. Dylan was staying the full break but he couldn't bear the thought of seeing Si and Maze together. Happy, surrounded by snow and good food, kissing, holding onto each other. Dylan's stomach churned.

"Oh, that's a shame. We miss you. It's been a long time. You're looking great," she smiled at him.

Dylan cleared his throat, "Uh.. you too."

Maze grinned at him and Dylan had to root his feet to the ground to stop himself from moving forward and kissing her.

"Maze! Session's about to start!" A voice called from the entrance of the studio.

Maze jumped, "Shit! I forgot, my class!"

Dylan glanced up at the windows to see ten women looking out at them, a couple pointed and one even waggled her fingers at him. Dylan blushed. 

"I have to go, Dylan. They're already going to interrogate me about who you are instead of focussing on making sure that they can complete a good downward dog. Please keep in touch and..well.. Merry Christmas!"

Dylan remained still as a statue as Maze tipped forward on her little grey boots and kissed his cheek gently. His skin tingled as if it was on fire. Maze smiled at him then scurried back into the studio.

He watched her walk into the room, waving her hands gently at the women and moved towards the window again. Dylan raised one hand in salute to her and she returned the gesture before turning and making her way towards her mat at the front of the class. 

Dylan touched his cheek gently where she'd kissed him. It still felt as if her mouth was there. The sky darkened and he turned beginning his long walk home through the snow. 

The next day when Dylan held a bagful of ice to the bridge of his nose, he considered that as always,  seeing Maze was the only thing that had been worth the journey.