MAISIE

I watched Si end the call and throw the phone onto my sofa. I watched it bounce and felt myself shiver, knowing what was coming next.

"Why did you answer my phone?" He asked, his back to me. 

I was silent, the water dripping from my hair onto my shoulders. I had just stepped out of the shower when I heard it ring. Si had been asleep and I ran to answer it so it wouldn't wake him.

He didn't like to be woken up.

"Maze?"

He cocked his head over his shoulder and looked at me. My stomach churned. 

"I heard it ring and I didn't want to wake you. You've been working so hard lately," I said softly.

There are moments, pivotal ones where one of two things can happen. You're standing at the beginning of a crossroads. You go one way and you're hit by a car or you go the other and you merrily walk on into the nearest ice cream store. 

Si turned around and I relaxed my stance, bringing my gaze up to meet his without signs of fear or confrontation. Sometimes he would find them even if they weren't there. 

Simon was always my crossroads. 

The call from Dylan must have relaxed him and I watched as a big lazy smile spread across his face. I let my shoulders relax a fraction. 

"Thanks babe," he smiled at me, stepping forward to brush a kiss across my forehead. I closed my eyes and wished that I would feel something apart from cold when he did that. 

He glanced at his wrist and frowned, "Shit, we don't have long to get ready. Hurry up, Maze. You're dripping water everywhere."

I bit my lower lip, " Uh.. I have a class to run at the studio first, my aunt called me and asked if I could do it for her."

Another crossroad to be judged by him.

Something flickered across his gaze then he blinked and it was gone, "No problem, Maze. Come out after if you like, I'm sure the guys would like to see you."

Another kiss on the forehead, a jab of cold in my chest and then he was gone, walking back into my bedroom and pulling on his clothes. 

I forced my feet to move after him and pulled on my yoga pants and vest top. I knew he was watching me so I grabbed a large oversized jumper and pulled it on top of the vest despite the warmth outside. I shoved my hair up into a messy knot at the top of my head and grabbed my bag.

"Would you like me to drop you off at the pub or would you want to go home first?" I asked, leaving it as always, up to him.

"Back to mine. I'll need to change."

He tapped my bum as I walked past and I winced as it radiated to the other marks he'd left earlier. 

I glanced back and smiled, "Great. Let's go."

We left my flat and I drove Si back to his home that he still shared with his Dad. He climbed out without saying goodbye and when the door closed behind him, I exhaled loudly. 

I raised my hand in a wave to his retreating back, in case he decided to turn back, then headed towards the yoga studio. I loved teaching the classes and I knew that my Auntie wouldn't mind letting me run the class instead of her, it meant she got to spend more time with Dylan's dad and it meant that I didn't have to spend some of the evening with Simon.

I let my thoughts drift back to Dylan, the almost quiet shock in his voice of a girl answering Si's phone and then the drop in his tone when he realised it was me. As always, I wondered what I had done for him to dislike me so much. Did he think I had stolen Si away from him? Had I accidentally spat in his eye when talking to him? 

I pulled up at the studio and let myself in. 

I didn't have time to think about why another man hated me. I was already stuck in a hole with one that I couldn't escape from.