DYLAN

"He's doing WHAT?" Mike bellowed, pacing back and forth in my living room.

"He's hurting Maze. I've seen the marks, Mike. She had a black eye that looked like you when you were in a rugby match and got sideswiped by Ben Collins."

"Urgh, that dickhead. It wasn't a foul, there was no need for..."

"Mike. That's not the point right now," I interrupted. "We need to do something. We can't let this keep happening."

Mike nodded then flung himself onto the sofa next to me. The sofa rocked back slightly with his added weight. We sat in silence for a few minutes. Mike muttered under his breath then turned towards me. I'd managed to get in touch with him just as he was leaving to go out with Hannah and he was wearing a black fitted shirt and jeans.I smiled to myself, Mike never made an effort with his clothes. He must really like her.

"Why did she leave with him?" Mike asked me. 

I bit my lip so hard that I tasted blood, "I don't know, I wish I knew."

"Maybe she wants to give it another try with him?" Mike offered.

"No way!" I shouted, glaring at him. 

Mike smiled, "Ah, I knew there was something you weren't telling me."

I grunted, tilting my head back to stare at the ceiling, "I told her that I loved her, Mike. She left with him. I have to know why. Even if she doesn't want to be me with me,  I have to make sure that he won't hurt her again."

"You told her you loved her?" Mike asked. 

I nodded, turning my head to look out the window. The sky was darkening. I'd run back to the car park to find that Maze had left Bee and the car keys tucked into the side of the door. I'd wrenched the car door open, thrown my bag in and drove to Mike's house. His mum had taken the kids out for the day so we were enjoying the very rare silence. 

Mike thumped my shoulder, "About time."

I glanced at him, "You knew?"

Mike belly laughed, "Of course, mate. I'd never seen you like this. None of us had. I think Si has known for a really long time and that's why he's been busting your balls for so long."

I pushed my hands through my hair, "We need to talk to Si. I need to talk to Maze. I just.. I don't...Fuck, Mike. What do we do?"

Mike chewed his bottom lip thoughtfully, "We need to go to the police, Dyl. My cousin, Luke, he's a DS. We can talk to him about it and find out what to do. I don't think we should go charging around..."

I exploded, vaulting to my feet in one swift move, "Charging around? He could be hurting her right now! You should have seen her face, her body...fuck! We need to do something!"

Mike stood up and placed a hand onto each of my shoulders, "Dylan. Listen to me. We need to be clever and calm here. If we rush in, all guns blazing, we could potentially be putting Maze into a lot more danger than either of us can deal with. We need to talk to Luke and find out where to go from there."

I nodded reluctantly, "Ok. Let's talk to Luke."

Mike's phone chirped and he read the message then looked up at me in surprise, "That was Hannah, she's at the Clocktower."

I slapped my hand against my forehead, "Ah Mike, I'm sorry. Go see her and I'll.."

Mike shook his head, a perplexed look crossing his face, "No. She's at the Clocktower but so is Si. With Maze."

A horrible realisation was growing in the pit of my stomach, "What? She's taken him back?"

Mike shrugged, looking sad. 

I rubbed my eyes furiously, trying to stay calm, "Go with Hannah. Go see her and keep an eye on Maze, please? I'm still going to talk to Luke."

Mike nodded, "I'll text you his number, he doesn't live far away. I won't tell Si I've seen you but by fuck, if he even looks at Maze wrong, he's going to be using my fist as a mouth guard."

I grabbed Bee's keys and headed towards the door, "Thanks, Mike."

"Dyl?"

"Yeah?"

Mike stood awkwardly, his hands hanging loose at his sides, "Don't..don't be disappointed if this doesn't turn out the way you want it to. These situations..they can be tricky to get out of."

I shrugged my shoulders, "I don't care if she doesn't want me. I don't care if she decides to stay with Si. I just need to make sure that only person I love in this world is safe. I need to make sure of this, Mike. I've been watching her for so long and I managed to miss this? I'm putting an end to it, now."