Notice

Cloud Recesses.

“I am sorry for the wait, brother.” Lan Wangji said and respectfully bowed as he apologizes. He was in the Library Pavilion when he heard from the message talisman that flew to him his elder brothers voice. He immediately left and went to his room to get his sword. Then, Lan Xichen arrived and saw him come out of his room.

Lan Xichen forced himself not to grimace and smiled helplessly as he stared at his younger brother. He is too strict to himself. He thought and sighed in his heart. “No problem. I also went back to restock my talismans.” He told him and smiled, full of understanding.

Lan Wangji nodded. They walked and was passing by the Conference Room when they heard voices coming their way.

“Wei-xiong, you really struck it lucky. The old man went to our sect’s Discussion Conference last night, so we don’t have classes for a few days!” it was Nie Huaisang’s voice. What he meant was the Discussion Conference in QingheNie sect.

“A lucky strike, indeed, almost as if Heaven is blessing me with its clouds.” Hearing the voice, Lan Wangji’s brows knitted.

“When he comes back, you’re still gonna get your punishment.” Another voice of a youth said. It was clear, like the ripple of water in a calm lake.

The Twin Jades of the Lan Clan heard footsteps and saw three youths walking towards them. One is Nie Huaisang, and with him as two youths wearing the purple uniform of the YunmengJiang sect. One of them is taller than the other, wearing a smile on his face. The other has a stern face, as if always plagued by a problem.

This made Lan Xichen puzzled. Clearly the other is younger than him, yet he has more problem than I? He thought, seemingly amused. I wonder what problems could the youth facing be making him frown like that? However, a loud voice woke him up from his thoughts.

“There are two Lan Zhan-s!” the youth in the middle exclaimed when he saw them.

Earlier, hearing the voice made Lan Wangji’s brows knit. Now seeing the face, Lan Wangji’s eyes narrowed as he glared at the youth. Lan Xichen was puzzled by his younger brother’s behavior. He turned to the three before them and smiled, “And you are…?” he asked, his eyes subtly landed on the youth beside the one Lan Wangji is glaring at.

Jiang Cheng already recognized the person beside Lan Wangji is Lan Xichen, titled Zewu-jun. He showed his respect with a salute, “Jiang Wanyin of Yunmeng.” He said and stood straight. Wow... he’s really the most handsome cultivator. He thought as he stared at Lan Xichen’s face, unaware that the man is also secretly looking at him. Lan Wangji, preoccupied by Wei Wuxian, didn’t notice his elder brother’s covert behavior.

Wei Wuxian, dense as he always is, followed, “Wei Wuxian of Yunmeng.” He said and bowed.

Lan Xichen started from Wei Wuxian’s voice. He turned to him (WWX) and returned the salute of the two youths from YunmengJiang sect.

Nie Huaisang, who’s silently watching the four in front of him, spoke, “Brother Xichen.” He called. What’s with them? He thought, referring to the four people who has their eyes on each other.

Lan Xichen finally turned to Nie Huaisang who was ignored. “Huaisang, a while ago, as I returned from Qinghe, your brother asked of your studies. How is it? This year, will you be able to pass?” he asked.

Nie Huaisang replied, “Generally speaking, yes…” He seemed like a wilted cucumber, looking at Wei WuXian in a helpless way.

Wei WuXian grinned, “Zewu-Jun, what are you two going out for?” he asked.

Lan Xichen, asked by this question, finally remembered the reason he went back. “To exterminate a water ghoul. We were short of hands, so I came back to find Wangji.” He answered and glanced at his younger brother, who ‘frowned’ in his eyes.

Lan WangJi spoke coldly, “Brother, we do not need to engage in small talk. This matter permits no delay; it is time for us to depart.” He told Lan Xichen.

Wei Wuxian cut him off, “Wait, wait, wait. I know how to catch watch water ghouls. Zewu-jun, why don’t you take us along?” he asked and looked at Lan Xichen.

They’re going with us? Lan Xichen thought, his eyes secretly glanced at Jiang Cheng who’s silently watching them. He smiled without words. As much as I want to, but...

Lan Wangji ruthlessly declared, “It is against the rules.” He answered.

Wei Wuxian frowned. “How is it against the rules? We used to catch water ghouls all the time in Yunmeng. Besides, we don’t have classes these days anyways.” He explained.

Yunmeng was abundant in lakes and water, so it teemed with water ghouls. It was true that people of the YunmengJiang Sect were adept at this, and Jiang Cheng also wanted to make up for the face which the YunmengJiang Sect lost during this stay at the Lan Sect, “That’s right. Zewu-jun, we’d definitely be of help.” He said and bowed at Lan Xichen.

Lan Xichen felt his heart fluttered as he looked at the youth’s submissive behavior. Actually, he already heard from his uncle about the antics of one of his (LQR) students when he and his uncle are talking. Because Wei Wuxian is too rambunctious, he knew his uncle is having a headache of the youth. And so, he also understood that his younger brother, like his uncle, can’t stand Wei Wuxian since Lan Wangji is the object of Wei Wuxian’s affection – err, teasing.

“It is not necessary. The GusuLan Sect is also…” Lan Wangji refused, but Lan Xichen cut him off.

“Sure, then. Many thanks for your help.” Lan Xichen said. His eyes covertly falling to Jiang Cheng. He knows that Jiang Cheng only offered their help to make up for Wei Wuxian’s ‘crimes’, but even so, he (LXC) can’t help to want to stare a bit more at the youth. He find the youth’s expressions amusing – his frown, his eyerolls, his grimace, and when he purses his lips... he thought as his eyes fell on Jiang Cheng’s pouting lips. He looked away and turned to Wei Wuxian and instructed him and Jiang Cheng to make preparations while Nie Huaisang will be staying here in Cloud Recesses.

Lan Wangji looked at them from behind, his brows knitted with confusion, “Brother, why did you decide to bring them? Exterminating ghouls is not suited for joking around.” He asked his elder brother.

Lan Xichen answered, “The head disciple and only son of Sect Leader Jiang are quite well-known in Yunmeng. It is likely that they know more than joking around.” He explained.

Although Lan WangJi didn’t express his opinion, the phrase “I beg to differ” was written all over his face.

Lan Xichen spoke again, “And, also, you wish for him to go as well, do you not?” he added.

Lan WangJi was stunned.

Lan Xichen smiled, secretly teasing. “I only agreed because you looked as if you wanted the head disciple of Sect Leader Jiang to come with you.” He told him.

A silence fell upon them, as if the air was frozen solid.

Only after a while did Lan Wangji finally respond, speaking with great difficulty, “There was no such thing.” He said.

Lan Xichen finally laughed. No need to be shy, Wangji. He thought as he looked at Jiang Cheng and Wei Wuxian coming their way. Since I also want him (JC) to come, too. His smile became wider. “Let us depart.” He said as he mounted Shuoye.

“Yes.” The three accompanying him answered and also mounted their sword.

Thus, two pairs flew towards the Caiyi Town – not for a date, but to exterminate the water ghouls.

(A/N: I am being distracted by The Untamed my cousin watching after I roped her to watch the drama.)