True Colors

Akira POV

The awful news was relentless. During class the following morning, as Chabashira-sensei was about to leave, she assaulted us with one of her notoriously brief and off-hand announcements.

"I have an announcement for you all today. Yesterday, there was an incident between some students from class C and from the student sitting over there, Sudou. Simply put, there was a fight."

The class became complete chaos.

Chabashira-sensei did not sugar coat anything as she explained the incident to the class. Her face was emotionless and she sounded completely disinterested in the situation. There was something about that that contained serene beauty to it.

She spoke with complete neutrality, I could not detect any personal bias when she addressed the class. Chabashira-sensei was literally the human embodiment of Switzerland.

"Ummm... why hasn't this issue been resolved already?" Hirata asked a logical question.

"This complaint came from Class C. They claim that the fight was completely one-sided. However, when we spoke to the accused Sudou said their claims were not true. He insisted that the Class C students called him over and started the fight."

"It wasn't my fault! It was self-defense! Self-defense I tell you!" pleaded Sudou as all of his classmates glared at him.

"If it was self-defense, where's the evidence?"

"What evidence? I don't have any."

"So in other words, the truth remains hidden. Therefore, we're gonna have to put our decision on hold for now. Our response, and consequence, will come when we find out who is the person at fault."

"All I know is that I'm innocent. I think I should also receive some compensation for the trouble they put me through."

"So speaks the accused, but I can say for sure your level of credibility isn't very adequate right now. If there was a witness, as Sudou seems to believe, then the situation would be different. If anyone witnessed the fight, please raise your hand."

Chanashira-sensei said this with an emotionless tone. No one in the class raised their hands.

"Looks like your out of luck Sudou. It appears there are no witnesses in this class."

"Looks that way," Sudou grumbled.

Chabashira-sensei glanced at Sudou, who cast his glance downwards.

"In order to check for witnesses, every teacher will inform their classes of the details to this incident."

"W-What?! You're going to tell everyone!?"

The school most likely had no say in this matter. Because Sudou had insisted that the charge was false and brought up a potential witness, the school had to be sure. This wasn't good for Sudou since he wanted to keep this situation from going public.

"Shit!"

Simply put, his plan had completely fallen apart.

"Anyway, that is all I had to say. The final judgment will be next Tuesday, taking into account any new evidence or eyewitnesses. With that, let's end homeroom for today."

Chabashira-sensei left the classroom and Sudou followed soon after. He most likely realized he would lose his temper with someone if he stayed in the classroom.

"Man, isn't Sudou the worst?" Ike was the first one to speak up.

Umm... aren't friends supposed to stick up for each other?