Chapter 6. Honesty and essay writing.

****

After the first week of school I was fully submerged into typical routine and was thankful that the adjustment period after summer wasn't prolonged too much.

I was in the middle of buttering my toast on the Monday of our second week back, when I heard a short knock on the door. Assuming it could only be Carter this early in the morning, I didn't think twice about opening it until I came face-to-face with Jackass himself at the ungodly hour of 7:30 am.

And even with him being a complete douche, I couldn't help but fix my hair in reflex of seeing him.

"What do you want Xander?" Like I said, Pleasantries to a minimum.

"Nice to see you're as lovely as you were last week" he joked, sarcasm in his voice.

I huffed and rolled my eyes, hoping he would get the hint that I really wasn't here for his charm- not this early in the morning anyways. I looked on expectantly, making him look down and chuckle at how tired I was with him.

"I was hoping we could talk?" He spoke. I exhaled and stepped outside, curiosity getting the better of me.

I looked at him, "Go ahead".

"You were right" is all he said, a one sided smile on his face.

"Go on?" My statement came out as much more of a question than I intended it to.

"Look. After you accused me of buying my way into being accepted, I asked my mum and dad" he began, and I noticed the way his London accent seemed to thicken at the mention of his mom- the contrast to how my American accent made me pronounce it only stood to exaggerate his rich English one.

"She didn't have a clue what I was going on about but suggested that I spoke to my Grandmother, since she mentioned briefly to her that I was sending in my application" he looked up at me.

"Okay, And?" I urged him to continue.

"Turns out, after finding out I sent in my form, My grandma wanted to ensure i definitely got in and paid Mr. Lewis to accept me. Her intentions were pure, she just didn't want me to think lesser of myself if I couldn't get in- you know, since my suspension meant I had to get my own tutor for the last year of school" he paused, "So she just avoided that possibility at all costs" he shrugged his shoulders.
"I really didn't have anything to do with it" he finished.

I exhaled, feeling instantly embarrassed at accusing him of being the one to bribe Mr.Lewis.

"Oh god-I'm sorry for over reacting" I responded quickly, cringing.

"No big deal, just keep your temper under wraps next time" he lightly chuckled at me before beginning to turn and walk away. But he suddenly stopped and turned back around, being hit by a different train of thought.

"And hey I spoke to Mr.Lewis about the situation and he confirmed that I did take the place from Will so he's accepted him again" he shrugged his shoulders.

"Really?" I spoke, taken aback at the quick turn around in attitude from our headteacher. Xander didn't speak much though, he looked down to my wet patio and shrugged his shoulders once more, as if to say 'no big deal' he looked a little caged in.

"How did you swing that?" I questioned, curiosity in my tone.

"Nope, i didn't do anything" he spoke, his words falling off his tongue effortlessly.

"Xander" I sighed, trying to get him to admit what he would have had to pull to get Will accepted again. Mr.Lewis was no easy target to take down- he was cold, and strict and all the things teenagers hate in their principal.