Chapter 32. High horse.

***

Our game day.

Unlike American schools, British schools are not as big on school spirit where sports are concerned. Greenwood, however, pride themselves on their ability to maintain extra circular activities among their students, purely based on their enthusiasm for Greenwood's football team- today's focus was the sixth formers big game.

The schools netball team didn't get as large of a crowd, but we got enough support. Which is why even though I wasn't scheduled to play, I was still in the changing rooms on Friday afternoon to cheer on Riley and Carter who were getting ready for their game.

"They aren't a tough side, their goal keeper is a short ass and the shooter has crappy aim. You got this" I cheered them on as we began to walk onto the netball courts. The soccer game didn't start for another 10 minutes, meaning I could catch some of the netball game before I'd have to change into Xanders jersey and run over to the field.

"Thank you. We'll see you at the field after" Riley spoke, walking away and getting into position, Carter following suit.

"Goodluck" I called one last time before the whistle blew.

The cold air of the late December night made the girls breath visible, and those who were watching the game, huddle closer together to try and generate heat. My cheers filled the busy air and mixed together with other yells of support, but when a girl on our team rolled her ankle as she tried to pivot away from the opponent, the loud shrill of the Umpires whistle filled the air instead.

"What's going on?" I quietly called out to Carter as I stood on the sidelines.

"She's going to have come off" she whispered back.

"We don't have enough subs" I spoke.

"I know, we'll have to forfeit" She replied, hands on her hips as she tried to regain her breathe. I had two minutes left until I needed to be at the soccer game across the field, but until I knew what was going on with my team, my feet stayed where they were. Our coach was talking in a whisper to the Umpire when she quickly turned her head and caught sight of me.

"Andrea, get here" she gestured to me and I ran onto the courts.

"Yes, Miss?" I questioned.

"You play wing defence. Can you play for her?" She asked.

"But I'm not on subs, and I have to go to the soccer game" I tried to get out of it, knowing I had to be there to support Xander, but the pleading eyes of my coach made it a hard task.

"It's only for the first half and then I'll get a girl from the year below to step in instead" she tried to convince me, which she was unfortunately successful in.

All it took was one look at my teams face who were essentially begging me to play, for me to give in.

"Fine" I sighed and reluctantly got into my starting position, firstly taking the 'WD' letters off of the injured player. I counted myself lucky since I was already in sports leggings and could change into Xanders jersey which was fitting attire for a sports game.

I played the whole of the first half with a weight on my chest, I had missed almost all of Xanders first half and I felt absolutely awful about it, this game meant so much to him, and with the delays to the middle of our game, it was a doubt that Carter and Riley would even make it in time to see even some of it, never mind me.