Chapter 30. Mexican food?

***

Today marked 7 days since Tommy left, and 8 since Xander found out he wasn't biologically a Harrison.

During the week, Xander and I had gotten closer. It was an unsaid 'norm' that he was allowed to kiss the top of my head since he couldn't kiss my lips, that he could put his arm around my shoulders because he couldn't hold me if I slept in his bed, and that we could go out to eat together since we couldn't actually go out on a date.

It was our normal.

Carter was always on call to give me advice if I felt us getting too close, and Riley was able to tell me whether Xander was freaking out or not since he would go to her and Hudson for advice. Yasmine would jokingingly cough if she felt that we had gotten too close in public, so we would quickly move away, not wanting to start any rumours. And Hudson and Will were our biggest mascots, something I expected from Hudson since he had become one of my bestfriends and he had grown to love me and Xander, but not what I expected from Will given that he used to despise the hazel eyed boy. Sammy and Johnny mainly made jokes about Xander being whipped, but then would quickly come and apologise, and try to throw anyone off the scent that I had plans to break up with Tommy.

All of them were being incredibly supportive, and I couldn't imagine it any other way.

I was sat out of breathe on the field after an intense netball practice, already tired from a lunch time Grease rehearsal, when Xander who was sporting our burgundy school jersey, came and sat next to me.

"A date" he stated.

"No charming line, no temper and no smile...are you feeling okay?" I sarcastically held my hand to his forehead to see if he was ill, which he swatted away.

"A date" he repeated.

"What are you on about?" I laughed.

"Go on a date with me" he suggested, talking as though I was the idiot for thinking that was an event that wasn't allowed to occur.

"You know we can't" I smiled.

"Why? Because your boyfriend and you are on a break that's eventually going to lead to a breakup once he's back?" He questioned, "See this as a practice for us before the real thing" he shrugged his shoulders smiling, clearly proud of himself.

"A practice date" I repeated, the butterflies in my stomach swarming at the way he outwardly planned for a future for us.

"You like Mexican food?" He asked.

"Yeah, I love it" I smiled.

"Then it's a date" he threw me a one sided smile before standing up and holding out his hand to help me up.

"That was smooth" I joked as I stood up, addressing the way he asked me on a date as though i had been watching from the outside.

"I know, I especially liked the way I had to repeat myself 3 times before you got it" he sarcastically spoke, "It's my first time at this sort of thing, give me some credit" he finished, jokingly pushing me away as we walked to the changing rooms.

After practice it was only Carter, Will, Xander and I who were waiting for the others outside of the changing rooms, some of our group clearly taking longer to change than others.