Chapter 7: Valeriana Roots

August 23 - Sunday - 2:45 am
Over two weeks after Saul's first Brokath transformation

I walked over to the balcony. The streets were almost empty. Still, people walked around. The hot wind caressed my face, instantly filling me with nostalgia. I missed my town, missed the cold wind, missed the stars, and most of all, missed mom.

We've been calling a few times each week, yesterday being one of those days. A constant in all of our calls seems to be the new bakery that arrived to town the same week I left for the Academy.

"Many of our faithful clients have went there." Mom's cheeks were red, her tone a bit harsh; something extremely rare for my bubbly mother. "I don't know why. It's not like their pastries are better than ours. We survived with the customers we had!"

I grimaced. "Mom, breath. You need to breath. This won't be good for your blood pressure."

"I just don't get it, why open up a bakery in a small town that already has one?" She huffed.

I hummed. "Momma, you'll get them back. They are just curious. Don't worry."

She sighed. "Oh darling." Her eyes brimming with tears. "I miss you so much."

"I miss you too mamma."

I worried for her, but I knew things would work out. Mom's pastries were the best. She'd get the customers back.

I propelled to the sky, holding on to my backpack. I went higher and higher, passing the roof. I closed my eyes, feeling the wind harsh on my face. Since I've been flying since I was young, the wind on my eyes ceased to bother. I've also learned to have my hair tied, as to not create a bigger mess.

My wings pushed my body higher, it was always an euphoric feeling. I folded my wings and proceeded to free fall. A soft smile tugged the edge of my lips. I twisted my body, falling head first. My wings extended behind me. I calculated my landing and started gliding towards the roof far below.

Saul had been observing me.  A glimmer of curiosity in his eyes.

I landed a few feet away and walked over with a grin. "Have you tried that?" I placed the bag on the floor.

Saul shook his head. "Why would I?"

"It's euphoric, adrenaline filled.  You'll love it. Go on, try it." I grinned sitting down on one of the two chairs we had smuggled up a week ago. We basically took a corner of the roof and made it our own. So far, no one had bothered us. The thought of someone catching us was always present, but it's been two weeks and no one seemed to survey the roof at these hours.

He smirked, amused. "Maybe later. I have something to show you."

I sat up on the chair as he took a few steps back. "Show me."

He extended his arms. From his hands pebbles began to sprout, starting from his finger tips.  As the transformation traveled upward, bigger rocks sprouted. Saul frowned in deep concentration. The growing rocks stopped at his elbows.

I looked in awe as he closed his hands, inspecting his new trick. He seemed to be struggling to keep it active.

"When did you get to practice this?" I walked over, taking one of his hands into mine. I inspected it, amazed. "You always needed to change completely for you to control it."

Saul's body was shaking. He groaned, the rocks disappeared into his body, leaving me to hold his hand in mine.  The rough texture replaced with soft skin, softer than I had expected.