Chapter 10: Limits

Chapter 10: Limits

I fell in slow motion.

At least that's how it felt.

I still had my hand outstretched towards Saul, who was hovering next to my balcony.  A silent scream stuck in my throat.  He stared down at me with a look of determination. 

Everything had happened in a matter of seconds. He grasped my hand and threw me out of the balcony.

Sheer terror ripped through my soul, sending a pulse of adrenaline throughout my whole body.

I twisted in the air, looking at how the streets inched nearer with each millisecond.

I extended my wings. They were extremely heavy and hard to manipulate. The air didn't flow thought my feathers.

I had gained too much speed to glide to safety.  Panic rapidly rose within me.

I needed to fly.

I tried to move my wings, resulting in a mediocre flap.

I needed to fly.

The flaps were short, agitated. The street just a few floors down.

I needed to fly!

I used all the strength I had in me to move my wings to my bidding. I forced my wings to move, to do anything. Just one more floor and I'd hit the pavement.

I needed to fly!

I let out a yell of agony coming to a halt, my wings finally responding to my commands. My feet grazed the pavement as I forced, with all my might, to fly upwards.

I propelled my body again, yelling as my wings protested the action, yet gaining altitude.

I didn't notice Saul was right next to me, yet at a certain distance.

I clenched my jaw, the pain almost ripping my back in two. I saw my balcony getting closer. My hopes of finally getting to safety bloomed in my gut, but my wings were giving out. I started to panic yet again when my wings gave out completely, I was still two floors away from reaching it.

No!

I started to fall backwards, my wings almost numb at my back.

I extended my arms in front of me, towards the balcony, as if by a miracle I could reach it and get to safety. But I just kept falling, this time without being able to determine when I'd hit the ground.

My fear tripled.

As I saw the floors fly past me, I harshly closed my eyes and braced myself for the impact.

Suddenly, I felt someone grasp my hands and start to pull me upwards. I opened my eyes to see Saul looking at me with a little grin, but face filled with determination. He managed to pull me to the side of my balcony, where I proceeded to hold on to the railing for dear life, lifting my body over it.

My hands were trembling. My whole body was trembling.  My heartbeat was rushed, heart pumping against my chest fiercely. I breathed heavily, my wings felt like mountains on my back.

Saul was on the balcony, standing at the corner, observing me with a stupid grin.

I turned to him, glaring with raw anger. Tears blurred my vision, so I blinked them away and felt them fall; more tears quickly replaced those.

His grin faltered, "Aurora..." He took a step towards me.

I took one step back. "Stay away from me." I barely whispered. My bottom lip trembling.