Chaper 22: Rooftop

Chaper 22: Rooftop

May 15 - 2:00 am

I took a deep breath as I jumped off the balcony and flapped my wings to gain mommentum. 

I'll make him talk tonight, even if it meant I'd piss him off so much he'd finally speak to me.

I eager my wings to push me upwards, not even enjoying the feeling of flight like I usually did.  I finally landed on the roof and sat down on the ledge, waiting for Saul to arrive. 

It was already 3:00 am when he finally showed up.

"I told you at 2:00 am sharp." I state, not expecting him to acknowledge me. I was actually happy he showed.

Saul has been a shell of himself for the last two weeks.  After what everyone witnessed the night at Eros' dorm, Saul refused to answer our questions.  He stood up, thanked Zion for the help, and walked out the dorm.  The heavy questions fell on me, which in a way I didn't know how to answer, much less begin to explain.  This was Saul's secret, and I had promised from the very start I'd keep my mouth shut. Of course, they all made theories of their own.

Eros: "I might have hit too many blunts, but I think Brokath might be a desease. That's why his dad died."

Zion: "My drugs are too powerful to be left unchecked... I almost killed a man. Ah, yes. Saul's dad is dead, no doubt about it. The letters were probably a coping mechanism."

Javian: "The military finds Saul so attractive they had to kill his dad."

Red: "What does attractiveness have to do with anything? Obviously his dad must have been one of the most wanted!"

Cory: "There's a few things we still don't know, but I'm sure Saul has been keeping more than just a few secrets."

Again, just theories with no real data to support them.

It wasn't easy. As much as I bothered Saul to tell me what happened, our friends bothered me daily too.  They didn't know what the word Brokath meant, and they were greatly inclined on knowing. I made them promise not to speak of it until Saul and I talked of what happened.

Saul sat a few feet from me, making my gut twist;  feelings of rejection creeping in. 

I hate the distance that had formed.  He didn't speak to me anymore, much less anyone else apart from the short nods or shakes of his head.  Whatever he remembered had broken his spirit.  No matter how many times I tried to ask, to push him to open up, he never budged.

I scooted closer to him, my arm now brushing his.  We spent about fifteen minutes not saying anything.  I enjoyed the company, but I still needed answers.

"Hey..." I try to see if he reacted, but his face kept a somber look. "Saul, you need to talk.  I've been trying to give you space, but it's time you told me." Again, no reaction.  As if I wasn't even there.

"Saul, you haven't spoken to anyone since then.  You don't even want to speak to me anymore.  It's been two weeks, please... just say something." I plead, holding his hand roughly, so he wouldn't take it away as the many moments I've tried to speak to him.  "I'm your friend.  I promise to be open minded.  I want to be here for you.  I am here for you."

I tried to not get sentimental, but his stoic face made my eyes brim with tears faster than I could control.  I bit my lip, looking down at the world below.

"I remember when I first saw you up here.  I was surprised, I thought I'd never see you again. You told me months later that it was because of me that you didn't leave the Academy.  You wanted to help me, even when that meant loosing what you deemed your freedom." I turned my face to him, "You've always been here for me.  You've helped me train and believe in myself beyond what I thought was possible.  I've grown attached to you, Saul. I appreciate you more than you can think of."