Chapter 13: Orange Juice

November 19 - Thursday

After months of insisting, Saul had finally caved last night to drink valeriana tea.

"Fine, is tomorrow alright?" Saul asked, a little annoyed. I could guess he had accepted just so I'd stop bothering him.

I nodded eagerly. "Come to my place at 10:00 pm?"

"So early?" Saul rose his eyebrow.

"It basically knocks you out for eight to nine hours." I leaned my cheek on my hand, easing my elbow on the chair's handle. "I don't want you to miss classes. Plus, the effects last 2 to 3 days, based on my experience."

Saul snickered. "Classes are the least of my worries. But fine, I'll meet you at your dorm."

I grinned. "Great."

"Do I arrive to your balcony?" He asked.

"How about you use the door for a change?" I wink.

He nodded with a chuckle. "If you say so."

After having experienced for months the miraculous works of Zion's plant, I was extremely eager for Saul to try it. I knew he struggled greatly each night. Since we never saw each other apart from flyer practice and a few nights at the roof, I was excited to interact with him in a different environment. 

That very morning, I called mom. I mentally got ready for the new insults she'd muster towards the new Baker.

"That scoundrel! Those thieving disgusting worms! Those poor excuses for flannel cakes!"

I was right.

Mom exhaled loudly. "Oh, Aurora. The new baker in town is ruining us. The bakery is struggling to survive. I'm afraid that if the revenue isn't what Mr. Pol expects, he'll need to close the shop."

I gasped. "No, Mr. Pol would never. You and Trish depend on that bakery!"

"It's all because of that greedy bakery. I aught'a walk over and give them a piece of my mind." Mom's usually kind eyes filled with pure anger.

I shook my head. "Momma, no.  Don't get involved."

Mom huffed, her cheeks tinting over. "I'm already involved, Aurora. Not only are they bringing down our business, but they are reeling in new ones."

"New ones?" I frowned. That was news to me.

Mom quickly nodded. "Yeah! People we've never seen before going in. Talk of the town is that the sweets are so good, they could be the very best of the Eastern Region!"

I clicked my tongue. "Now, that just doesn't make sense. Why open shop in a small town, in the middle of nowhere, when your talent can make greater revenues elsewhere?"

Mom's eyes opened wide. "That's what I said to Trish!" She scrunched her nose. "We either need to ump our sweets or change things in the shop." She gaped at me. "They are open 24/7 too!"

"They are?"

She nodded eagerly. "Mhm. People actually go in at any time of day, by the bunch! First time a bakery is open for so long. I didn't even know they had the personnel to do so."

"Oh mom, I wish I could help you."

Mom gave me a tender look. "Aurora baby, you are readying for your future. You've helped me enough. I'll keep you updated on what happens."

I smiled, pang of emotions whirling in my chest. "I miss you. Winter break is coming soon! I'll be able to help you at the shop."

Mom's eyes lit up. "Yes! Oh darling I'd love that!"