Chapter 15: Fight like a Man

November 30 - Monday

At this point in the semester, I was completely used to my routine.  Waking up early, getting ready for general classes, and attending Flyer training three times a week.  Not leaving out gym time, now as a team with all the guys; yes, that included Eros, Saul, Javian, and Red.  So when Professor Valeron informed us that there was shooting training room right next to the gym, we didn't hesitate to start going as a team. It wasn't a simulator, but it would help us with our aim.  The whole team quickly determined that Saturday's would be the day we'd meet up for shooting practice. 

Something that definitely wasn't part of my routine was my inability to go to sleep.  It wasn't the nightmares; oh no.  It was Saul's face appearing in my thoughts.  Even after I had admitted to myself that I was attracted to him, I was extremely determined to not act on it.

No.  I, Aurora, will not be distracted.  Saul is my partner, team mate, and most importantly my friend.  It's been a few months since we had the small trouble with the balcony and things were finally back to normal.  I didn't want to risk that again, even if he was extremely attractive, a good listener, an amazing flyer, a good friend, such a skilled person... and many more things.

The booming voice of Professor Valeron brought me out of my trance.

"Class, today we will start building our combat skills." The room filled with murmurs; excitement mixed with groans. "Of course, we still need to keep building your stamina.  During the first half of the class we will be divided between the treadmills and flying turbines. Any questions?" Silence. "Okay, start stretching."

The team took a corner of the training room. I let my wings out, stretching them as far away as I could. 

"I'm excited to beat someone up." Eros randomly said, with the grin of a maniac.

"Ugh, shut up big guy. I just hope Valeron pairs me up with someone from our team." I looked around the room at the other two girls that were in the class. "I don't want to fight other girls."

Javian chuckled. "I wish I could fight with the girls. I'll get my ass kicked by anyone, honestly."

I sat down, stretching my legs in front of me. "Well, maybe you and I could partner up."

Javian shook his head. "No offense, but you look like the type of girl that could knock out people. So, no."

Red agreed. "Totally."

I looked surprised at Eros, who also gave a nod.

"Well, I hope you guys are right.  I've never been in a fight."

Saul leaned in a bit, his breath fanning on my ear. "I think you'll get the hang of it quickly."

I hid the shiver that traveled through me and gave him a quick smile of gratitude.

After stretching, we started on the treadmills then on the turbines. The whole exercise regime was extremely exhausting. We couldn't believe the class wasn't over. The professor gave us a 15 minute break, so we hydrated and got our breathing under control.  Once time was up, we walked to the bleachers, awaiting our new instructions.

"That was excellent class. This part will get easier as long as you attend the gym and work on your cardio out of class."

Javian grunted, to our amusement.

"The fighting partners were arranged the best way I could, based on my inspection these past classes and the initial physical diagnostic test." Professor Valeron touched his holopad, the projection showing the sparing partners.