Chapter 17: Crazy Harold

December 28 - Monday

Over a week has passed since I arrived to Miner's Town. Every day, explosions made the town quiver beneath our feet. I quickly grew accustomed to it, much like all its inhabitants.

I had called Cory a few times, catching up. I even tried calling Saul, but he never answered. He probably didn't even know how to pick up a call; I really needed to sit down with him and show him the basics.

Since I didn't get the job, I started to help out mom at the bakery, witnessing the clear decrease in costumers just as mom had informed. On the other hand, new costumers and tourists seemed to arrive to town just to visit the Luminous Bakery.

I waved goodbye at Mr. Pol who came to check on us. Mom had just finished preparing the last batch of cookies for the day.

"Those smell good!" The sweet chocolate aroma invading my system. "Can I have one?" My mouth watered as I looked at the chocolate chip cookies.

"Only one!" Mom gave me a pointed look, knowing that I'd certainly take more than one.

I grinned, waiting for the cookies to cool down first.

The bakery wasn't grand. It was small, with just five tables. Coziness and cuteness embodied it. The walls had pink vertical lines and different coffee and pastry paintings hanging on them.

I carry the just baked cookies to the display, taking out three and placing them on a napkin. The bell that hung off the door rang. I glanced at the elderly couple that walked in, both of them holding on to each other and using canes.

"Mr. and Mrs. Crowley, it's so good to see you!" The town was small enough that we certainly knew every local.

"Aurora, darling, how are you?" Mrs. Crowley was such an elderly woman, which didn't come as a surprise since the majority of Miner's Town citizens were elderly.

"All has been good!" I give a polite smile. "Would you like something?"

"Would you mind getting us two black coffees and one of those cookies you just walked out with." She pointed to the freshly baked batch.

I nodded. "Of course! Would you like something more?"

Mr. Crowley walked closer to the pantry. "Would you look at that! One banana nut muffin too."

I nodded and quickly placed the pastries in a small box. They took a seat and once the coffee was done, I took it to them.

I greeted and served the costumers, mom sometimes coming over to the counter to talk. One thing that distracted me throughout the days was the overwhelming amount of new people at the other side of the street.

The Luminous Bakery was certainly a beacon.

One elderly man that was at our bakery was about to leave, but I called him back.

"Harold! Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure thing Aurora." He came over, and gave me a toothy smile.

"What do you know about that new bakery?" I asked, leaning on the counter.

He frowned. "Well, the owner arrived out of the blue, bought the empty store and by the end of the week the bakery was up and running! Apart from that, their pastries are really good, but very expensive."

"Have you seen the owner?"

He shook his head. "Not with my own eyes.  In fact, nobody has seen the owner, just different workers."