Chapter 17

Chapter 17: Reasons

Class went by like normal.

Oak didn't question them, and Blue was understanding when Yellow gave a brief explanation of what happened.

Class went on as usual and up next were Pokémon battles. Blue had been able to distract Yellow for the most part, and after a while the two were engaged in conversation until Sapphire approached the two in the hallways with an ecstatic look on her face.

"Guys!!",She squealed practically jumping up and down.

"Sapph, what's up? You look like someone gave you coffee",Blue commented and Sapphire playfully rolled her eyes.

"I just heard they're going to remake the Pokémon arena!! The indigo league can continue!!",Sapphire gushes, her eyes practically shining.

"Really? Red agreed to fight people again?",Blue asked raising an eyebrow.

Sapphire nodded and looked over at Yellow who was clearly confused and lost.

"Oh right, you're new an' all— See, Red stopped taking challenges from trainers a few years ago. He wouldn't give a reason but despite trainer's bein' upset, they complied with what he wanted. Guess the pressure of bein' the league champion got to him, anyway, I heard from my papa that Red agreed to take challenges again!",Sapphire grinned.

"Well that's great but, why's that got you so excited Sapph?",Blue asked raising an eyebrow as the three headed to the training grounds.

Sapphire smirked. "Oh please Blue, like I'd let a chance to kick Ruby's a** slip by!",she said, her smirk growing wider if possible.

"Are you...still not talking to him?",Yellow asked carefully. Sapphire stayed quiet for a moment before smiling. "Ah look, we're here, I'll talk to ya two later!",she says waving at the two and walking away.

Yellow and Blue shared a look but went on with the class.

XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX

Apparently the universe had a vendetta against Yellow.

Instead of double battles, it was one on one battles today. Her opponent had to be Misty, who clearly wasn't very happy with Yellow but was forcing a kind smile on her face.

Yellow wanted desperately to switch, but Birch started class before she could object.

Yellow sighed quietly and gently rubbed her forehead.

She left ChuChu at the dorms, she forgot she had battle class today-

Maybe this could be an excuse to not fight?

Yellow turned to Birch, opened her mouth to speak, but was cut off by Red.

"Yellow? What's wrong? Aren't you and Misty going to battle?",Red asked, his opponent was Green who did not look too happy at not starting their battle yet but was being patient.

"Uh- no, ChuChu is at the dorms and I don't have-",Yellow cut herself off and looked away. "I..don't have other Pokémon"

Red stayed quiet for a moment before looking at Pika, who resided on his shoulder.

Red smiled and Pika smiled back in understanding, and jumped off Red's shoulder to jump onto Yellow's hat, earning a small squeal of surprise, and then quickly and happily settled himself in her arms.

Yellow gave Pika a confused smile and looked at Red, before realization dawned on her. "Wait, Red, no, Pika is—"

"More than happy to team up with you for this.",Red said simply waving his hand a bit as if waving away Yellow's reluctance.

"Are you sure Red? Isn't Pika a dear partner to you?",Misty spoke up, surprising Yellow and Red, they forgot she was there for a moment.

Red just nodded with a smile. "Yeah, it's fine, I trust Yellow, plus, Pika likes him a lot!"

At the mention of "him" Misty looked back at Yellow surprised. Yellow just averted her eyes with a worried face as if silently asking "please don't ask"

Misty stayed silent for a moment before smiling at Red "alright then, go focus on your battle Red",Misty says looking through her bag to see what Pokémon would be best to fight with.

From the corner of her eyes, Yellow sees Red signal something to Green and Red approach her.

Yellow turns to him with a questioning look, only to be met with a worried expression written all over Red's face.

"Will you be okay?",he asks silently.

Yellow glanced at Pika, who was giving her a worried look as well, and then at Misty who was still busy looking for a Pokémon to go against Pika.

"I think so...",Yellow said giving Red a weak smile. Red nodded lightly and patted her head, even with the hat in the way. "Don't worry, I'll still be here with you."

Yellow nodded and watched as Red walked back towards Green. Pika nuzzled her cheek to grab her attention and Yellow smiled a bit.

"Come on Pika!",Yellow calls out as Pika jumped forward ready for action.

"Starmie, I choose you!",Misty says grinning as the star shaped sea Pokémon jumps out from its pokéball.

"Battles, begin!",Birch calls out from across the room.

"Starmie water gun!",Misty calls out and Starmie shots out a jet of water.

"Pika, quick attack to dodge !",Yellow calls out to the surprised Pokémon. Pika does as told and swiftly dodged the jet of water and gives Misty a puzzled look.

Yellow was about to question him when Misty called out again.

"Starmie, tackle!",Misty commands as her Starmie rolls forward in a rapid motion and tackles Pika into the ground.

"Pika!",Yellow calls out worriedly but Pika just shakes his small head and huffs as if to calm Yellow down.

"Pika, use quick attack, but only to run around Starmie!",Yellow says and Misty frowns.

"Starmie, tackle!",Misty commands as her Starmie tries to attack Pika again but ends up hitting air and falls on it's face.

"Starmie!",Misty cries out in surprise

"Pika, return",Yellow says as Pika gives Yellow a puzzled look but jumps on Yellow's shoulder.

"What-? But the battle-",Misty says with wide eyes.

"-is over. Starmie is too confused to continue. If we do, he'll only attack himself. I'd rather not have him get more hurt than he needs to...",Yellow says scratching Pika under his chin, to which the yellow mouse Pokémon cried his name out in delight.