Start of Something New

Disclaimer: I do not own S.E. Hinton’s “The Outsiders” or High School Musical’s “Start of Something New”. All rights go to them. Enjoy! Xx – K

(A/N): Hi everyone! I’m really sorry that this chapter is so short. I know this isn’t too great of a chapter, but the next one is definitely one of my favorites!

Chapter 5: Start of Something New (DALLY’S POV) 

I never believed in

What I couldn't see

I never opened my heart

To all the possibilities 

            I spent the night at Buck’s. When I woke up, I was happy that I got in a brawl with Travis. That kid had some nerve. Besides, Two-Bit was the one making her drink. Not me.

            I walked out of Buck’s. Standing on the street, I didn’t know why, but my legs were dragging me to the Curtis’. I guess I wanted to finish what I started with Soda.

            I walked into the house and Scar was there. It was her, Two-Bit, Pony, and Johnny. Damn, no Soda. “Hey, Dally!” Two-Bit greeted me, “Last night, oh boy, did you feel like fighting. That Travis kid is all black and blue now.”

“Well, he shouldn’t have beaten up Scarlett,” I stated. I turned to Scarlett who was just staring at her hands. “Hey, princess. I need to talk to you.” I turned around and went back on the porch. She stepped outside a mere second after me.

“So, you and Soda?”

“No. Not me and Soda. He told me he had a bit of a crush on me then kissed me. Ain’t nothing more to it.”

“Look, I’m gonna ask you this, and your gonna give me an answer. An honest one, too.”

“I don’t have to answer anything.”

“No, your gonna answer this.” She rolled her eyes but I proceeded to my question. “You like me?”

She hesitated then crossed her arms. “I,I don’t not like you…”

“Yes or no?”

“Yes.”

“Then why are you kissin’ Soda?”

“I didn’t kiss him! He kissed me! I like you, Dally. Not Soda.”

I liked making her angry. I laughed grimly, than changed the subject, “You know how that guy Tim said you were a little young for me?”

“Yeah?”

I got up and wrapped my arms around her waist. “Do you think that?”

“Not at all,” she said with a smile.

“Well, what do you say. You ready for being Dally Winston’s little lady?”

“As ready as I’ll ever be.”

            After our talk, we headed back inside. Two-Bit informed us that the screen door was open, and he heard everything we said. Johnny and Two-Bit seemed genuinely happy for me. Pony was just kind of shocked. I remembered him liking Scar when they were kids. I thought he was slightly jealous, but I didn’t give a shit.

            I left the Curtis’ and headed towards the DX. When I got there, Steve was pumping gas and Soda was inside. He saw me comin’ and didn’t look happy. I went in and he didn’t say anything for a couple of minutes.

“Soda, you might like her, but now she’s off limits. You dig?”

“Oh your prince like attitude swept her off of her feet?”

“Something like that.”

“Whatever, I’ll get over her.”

“What’s happening, boys?”  Steve asked stepping into the store.

“Little Scarlett Tucker is datin’ Dal,” Soda answered. Steve’s face dropped.

“What do you think your doin’ Dally? You’re gonna break that girl’s heart!”

“Look, I ain’t seeking y’all’s approval.”

“And I’m not lettin’ you break Scarlett’s heart!”

“Mind your own fucking business, Steve. You too, Soda.”

Who the hell are they to tell me what to do and what not to do?