The City

Disclaimer: I do not own S.E. Hinton’s “The Outsiders” or Ed Sheeran’s “The City”. All rights go to them. Enjoy! Xx – K

(A/N): I’m so sorry for the slow update! I’ll try to do better next week!

Chapter 9: The City

This town is alive,

With lights that blind keep me awake,

Put my hood up, unlace and tie,

The street fills my mind,

Don't control what I'm into 

I had woken up at around five a.m. and I couldn’t go back to sleep. I turned over and looked at Dally. I’m surprised he didn’t try to do anything with me last night. I looked at his swollen nose and newly formed black eye caused by the fight with Travis. Bridget was probably worried sick about me by now, but I really don’t care anymore.

I got out of bed and put on some new clothes. I fixed my knotted hair, then lied back down next to Dally.

“Mornin’ princess.”

“Shit, I wake you?”

“No, I woke up a couple of minutes ago. It’s almost time for school, you want me to take you now?” his voice was so groggy that it just made me want to kiss him so I did.

“What was that?”

“A good morning kiss.”

             He got up just in his underwear and searched for his pants. He finally found them and threw them on along with a shirt. “You ready to go?”

“Yep.”

            We walked downstairs and Dally took Buck’s keys and headed out the door with me behind him. The ride to school was uneventful, but I did have to nudge him a few times to prevent him falling asleep. We finally got to school, and because it was pretty early, almost no one was there.

            I got out of the car and just waved goodbye to Dally. He was acting sort of strange but I pushed the thoughts away and walked into Will Rogers. There were a few people there. I walked to my locker and Lori popped up behind me.

“Enjoy your first day?”

“I guess…”

“What do you have first today?”

“Science.”

“Oh, I love Mrs. Janet!”

“Yeah, she seems nice.”

We just kind of stood there next to each other awkwardly. I knew she wanted to ask something, but seemed scared to ask. She finally took a deep breath and let it out.

“You’re dating Dallas Winston, right?”

“Yeah, why?”

“I hate to sound mean or anything,” here we go I thought, “but have you heard his rep?”

“Yeah, I know what I’ve gotten myself into…”

“I don’t mean to sound like your mom or anything, but please don’t do anything stupid with him.”

I don’t mean to sound like your mom. That was the thing I hated about my mom when she was alive. She wouldn’t have ever given me boy advice, let aloneadvice at all. She just didn’t seem like a mom.

“I won’t. But he’s really not that bad.”

“One more thing….”

“Yeah?” I said getting annoyed.