✎ Chapter 2 ✎

(Dys)functional
"Chapter 2"

Toby

My hand tiredly turns off the alarm right before it sounds while my cat sleeps practically on my face. Exhausted, I push the Siberian out of my way so that I can properly start my day.

Since school isn't a fashion show, I dress quickly in clothes dubbed appropriate for the workplace and pop a coffee into the one serving machine for my breakfast coffee while the coffee pot roars to life and starts to spit out my daytime coffee. My morning coffee is always the single serving packaged fancy stuff while my daytime coffee is black, strong brewed, and stored in a sixty-four ounce travel mug that's too big for a standard cup holder.

The small machine dings and I quickly grab my coffee and drink it while I feed Marshmallow. The feline purrs thankfully and begins to eat her food.

Never really having grown truly out of my college diet, I microwave a pancake wrapped sausage on a stick to eat with my twelve ounce cup of coffee. I eat it quickly before heading to the bathroom.

My eyes land on the mirror as I slowly take in my appearance. I still don't see how I "look" gay. Maybe it was just a lucky guess and Mr. Díez doesn't know my sexuality. Maybe he's just an asshole. I bet he gave his teachers shit while in school. I'm just glad Sara isn't the same way.

Maybe he's just cranky because he's old and hasn't gotten any since his daughter.

I sip my coffee, amused by my guess. There has to be something up because he seems to really care about his daughter, but just doesn't seem to make some of the best decisions when it comes to her wellbeing. Hopefully he gets better at distinguishing what's okay and what's not, because I'd feel terrible if anything got bad. He doesn't seem like a bad guy, just not the best.

Jesus, I hope I'm not wrong about his ability to properly care for his daughter.

If something were to happen to Sara, I would turn myself in, even if it didn't link back to me. There's just no way that I could let her get hurt. She's too sweet and seems to have dealt with plenty of negativity in her short, innocent life.

-

"Hey, Sara, Sara, honey, wake up," I say gently, shaking her awake.

"Huh...?" Green, droopy eyes look into mine. "Mr. Love?"

"Yes, it's me. Are you okay?" I ask, pressing the back of my hand to her forehead. "You've been sleeping all day. You even passed out on the slide during recess."

She rubs her eyes. "I'm sorry. I'm very tired."

"Why?" I ask.

"Daddy forgot to feed me because he was drinking his Daddy only drinks and then fell asleep. So he had to go get food after I told him and I had to be strong and watch tv. It was black outside and I kept yawning, but it's okay because Daddy said that even though I'm expensive, he loves me and he stopped me from crying by sleeping with me."

I blink. "Did you say that you watched tv while your dad got you food? You mean he made it in the kitchen, right?"

She shakes her head. "No, he went out to buy it. He told me I couldn't get a pet though because I'm ungrateful and he can't afford me."

I look around. The rest of the class was taken by one of my colleagues to go home. What Sara is saying is troubling. It's illegal for her to be by herself.

"Your other parent was home, right?"

"No. Mommy's a skank and Daddy said if I make good choices, I won't be like her." She lies her head back on the desk.