✎ Chapter 8 ✎

(Dys)functional
Chapter 8

Toby

Who knew one man could have the power to either make me indestructible or break me beyond repair?

My hands pull at my hair as I pace my bedroom. I have to tell him. It's the right thing to do. But what if he gets upset with me for telling him not long after the Hannah story? What if he doesn't want me anymore because of how I am?

He would be in his right to leave. I would understand.

"No, it doesn't necessarily mean we'll b-break up before we even got started. I'm clear you teach Sara and everyone in my class, so that has to mean something. Plus, he's seen that I can handle myself. GAD and panic disorder aren't the same as shiz-shiz..." I scowl. "What H-Hannah h-h-had. If I'm honest, he'll respect me."

It's been some time since Tony opened up to me and I've texted him, asking to do the same. He still hasn't responded and his electronic use reminds me of my grandpa.

Hopefully, if I speak with Sara beforehand, she'll stay in the living room with Marshmallow and her coloring supplies until her father and I are done speaking. She really does try to follow directions, so she shouldn't pose a problem.

My only source of worry lies with Tony.

My phone buzzes.

Tony: I can be there in ten

Tony: ?

Me: Okay. Is Sara coming as well?

Tony: don't got a babysitter. That OK?

Me: Definitely.

Tony: be there soon

Me: Okay. Don't text and drive. Be safe.

I scream.

Ten minutes pass before I hear a knock on the door.

"H-Heeeey." I say, learning in the doorway.

Tony looks me over before patting my head. "Hey."

Sara giggles. "I like your makeup."

"It is pretty." Tony smiles. "Makes you super kissable." He picks Sara up and she pecks my lips.

I giggle. "I bought you more coloring materials."

"Car ones?"

"Vintage."

"Yessss." She pumps.

"That's very sweet." Tony smiles and comes inside.

"Th-Thank you." I force one in return and grab the snacks I prepared for Sara out of the fridge. "Here, Sara, I got you some fruit." I take her gently from Tony's arms and set her at a seat at the table with the coloring supplies.

"Strawberries?" She bounces at the sight and hugs me.

"You're welcome," I whisper. "Now I need you to be a good girl and stay in the kitchen, living room, or bathroom while D-Daddy and I talk, okay? We'll come get you when we're done. Can you do that for me?"

She nods, resolved. "Aye, aye, Mr. Love."

I play with her hair fondly. "My perfect snow fairy. Thank you." I kiss her cheek and walk over to Tony and grab his hands, noticing my own are shaking. "C-Can you p-p-p-please come with me to my room?"

He looks concerned. "Yeah, of course."

Nervous, I take him into my room and lock the door behind us. "I-I have something to tell y...ou."