✎ Chapter 14 ✎

(Dys)functional
Chapter 14

Toby

"Toby," Tony whispers. "baby."

My eyes shoot open and I grab him. "Tony, are you leaving?"

"Yeah, Tobs." he takes my hand, already dressed.

I exhale. "Sara is going to be shaken when she wakes up and you're not here." My hand caresses his face. "You'll be gone for quite a while too."

He nods "I'm gonna talk to her too after we finish. I'm trusting you with her." He sits and kisses my hand. "Manuel will come over to keep you company.

Exhaling, I kiss back and move out from under the covers and blush while moving my right sock down to reveal an anklet with my initials on it. "Can you take this with you?"

He smiles at it. "A good luck charm?"

"Yes. I want to be that for you." I take it off and hold it out to him. "It's precious to me."

He takes it and facens it around his wrist. "Thank you. I'll keep it safe."

Touching his face, I smile and kiss him. "I love you, Papa Bear. Come back to us soon."

He kisses back deeply. "I love you too, baby boy. I will." He gently shakes Sara. "Sara, wake up."

Green eyes open and she looks up at her father. "Do I have to go back to my own room?"

"No, sweetie, Daddy's gonna go on a little trip for a few days. It's very sudden and I have to leave now."

"Can I come?"

"No, baby, it's just a long boring road trip to pick up Manny's mom. She wants to come live with him, isn't that nice?"

She nods. "Yeah. It'd be nice for him to have his mom..."

"Exactly." Tony taps her chin. "I'll be back as soon as I can. Toby is going to take good care of you and I'll text him every hour."

Sara perks up. "Will you miss us?"

Tony nods. "Yeah but I got a picture of you in my wallet to keep me company." He shows her. The picture is of her as a baby.

"I was super small..." Sara crawls into Tony's lap and gives him a hug and kiss. "I'll be good while you're gone."

"Good girl." He kisses her head , lingering for a while. "I love you so much, baby. I'll always be your daddy. Even when you're as old as me."

She nods. "And I'll always be your daughter, even when I have kids too."

Tony nods. "Goodbye, kiddos." he ruffles both our hair.

"Goodbye, Antonio." I squeeze his hand.

"Goodbye, Daddy."

"See you in a few days." Tony kisses my hand and leaves.

-

Sleepless hours pass before Sara wakes up and looks around for Tony only for her to frown. "He's still gone."

"Yeah, he is, but you have Antonio." I pick her up and set her on the counter while I pour her favorite cereal.

She hugs the otter. "Daddy has never left for a long time before. I'm kinda scared."

I run my fingers through her hair. "Sara, I can keep you safe too."

"Yeah." She eats from her spot on the counter. "Daddy left me with you, so that's true."