⚠︎ Chapter 15 ⚠︎

(Dys)functional
"Chapter 15"

⚠︎
Tony

The entire drive was nerve-racking. I tried to drown out my anxieties with music but it barely worked. Thankfully, I made it to the meeting point without issue. Manuel's mom was easy to find in the crowd of those who'd crossed, she looks just like him.

Once she's in the car I gave her food and water and she thanked me for taking care of her son and her mother. She seems really sweet.

The drive home was less stressful somehow, maybe because the initial anticipation fears had passed. We stayed a night in a dodgy motel before getting back on the road.

I miss my family more than I thought I would. Usually, I like my alone time but lately I've been craving the presence of my boyfriend and my daughter. I even almost miss the damned cat.

It's relieving when I finally make it home and unlock the door. "Toby! Manuel! We're back!"

A blond blur knocks me down and Toby covers me in kisses from our spot on the ground. "I missed you!"

"I missed you too, baby." I pet him while Manny and his mother have their own heartfelt reunion in the entryway.

Sara and Marshmallow join us and she grins widely. "Hi, Daddy. Did you miss me too?"

I smile and scoop her up. "Sure did, baby girl." I bounce her. "Don't tell me you've grown without me!"

"Have I?" She puts her hands on her head. "Well, we did make food for everyone."

"You did?" I sniff around. All I've eaten the past few days is junk and it made me realize just how much I appreciate having Toby here to cook for us.

"Yes. We made chicken pot pies." Toby helps us up and grasps my hand. "There's enough for everyone and yours has extra mushrooms."

"We even made dessert!" Sara bounces and Marshmallow nuzzles my leg.

I relent and give the beast a few pats. "¿Se quedarán a cenar Manuel y tú? Mi familia nos preparó una gran comida de bienvenida [will you and Manuel stay for dinner? My family made us a big welcome meal]." I ask Mannys mom, Elodia.

She smiles and nods. "Sí gracias."

"Do you know English?" Sara asks.

The woman shakes her head. "Only little."

Sara nods and points to Toby. "Mamá... enseñar..." she points to Elodia, "tú."

Toby giggles at Sara's attempt. "Sí, puedo enseñarte [Yes, I can teach you]."

The woman smiles brightly and thanks toby before kneeling in front of Sara and patting her head. "Very good." She giggles and kisses her forehead before standing back up. "Fue hace mucho tiempo cuando este era así de pequeño [It was so long ago when this one was that small]." She points to her son. "Crecen tan rápido. Atesórala [They grow up so fast. Treasure her]."

I look at my daughter and smile warmly. "Lo haremos [We will]."

Toby hugs my arm and nods while Sara runs into the kitchen to get our food before Toby runs after her to help.

Manuel seems glued to his mother's side so I lead them to the kitchen table to sit. I have to grab two extra chairs to accommodate us all which reminds me of my old family dinners back when I was young. I have a big family, I just don't stay in contact with most of them.

Toby and Sara dish us all up before they sit beside me, Toby a lot closer than usual. Noticing, I pull him into my lap.

"Toby es muy buen cocinero, mamá, me enseñó muchas cosas geniales. ¡Quiero poder ayudar a cocinar para ti y la abuela! [Toby is a really good cook, mama, he taught me lots of cool stuff. I want to be able to help cook for you and grandma]! Manuel raves in rapid fire Spanish.