Team Assignments

As I walked into class the next day with Naruto and Selene, we were a little later than usual. I scanned the room and saw that the only available seats were next to Sasuke. I let out a soft sigh and walked over, taking the seat next to him, leaving room for Selene and Naruto to sit as well.

"I still think you should have called me Ella," Selene said with her arms crossed as she slid in next to me.

"I know. I know," I replied, sighing softly.

Suddenly, Sasuke surprised me by asking, "What happened to your neck?"

I turned to face him, letting out a soft sigh and unconsciously rubbing my neck. "It was nothing really... Just a scratch," I reassured him with a soft smile.

"Right," he said, turning his attention back to the front of the class. I could tell he didn't believe me.

As we settled into our seats, Sakura's voice cut through the classroom, "Naruto move your ass!! I wanna sit on the other side of you!" Selene and I glared at Sakura, wondering why she was yelling at poor Naruto.

I saw Naruto's gaze shift towards me, and then over to Sasuke, and I could tell they were glaring at each other.

"What?" Sasuke asked in a monotone voice.

"What do you mean what?!" Naruto exclaimed, clearly frustrated..

"Sasuke kun can I sit next to you?!" Sakura asked putting her hands and all her weight on Naruto's head.

I glared at Sakura, and as I stood up, Selene muttered, "Oh great," and stepped aside.

"Get the hell off of him...before I smash you," I growled at her, angry that she had been so rude to Naruto.

Sakura flinched back, startled. "But...but..."

"If I were you, I'd stop and go back to your seat," Selene added, giving Sakura a pointed look.

Sakura groaned and moved to a different seat, and I couldn't help but feel relieved that she was no longer sitting near us.

The teacher's voice interrupted my thoughts. "Today, all of you are shinobi, but still genin. The hard journey that lies ahead has just started. Soon, you will be given missions to help the village. Today, we will create three-man teams, two of which will be four-man teams. Each team will have a jounin sensei, and you will follow your sensei's instructions in order to successfully complete your missions. We have tried to balance each team's strength."

The class erupted in protests and disbelief.

He began calling out the teams. "Team 7: Sakura Haruno, Ella Sakamoto, Sasuke Uchiha, and Naruto Uzumaki. Team 8: Hinata Hyuga, Kiba Inuzuka, Shino Aburame, and Selene Sukhumi."

"Iruka-sensei, why do I, an outstanding shinobi, have to be on the same team as that prick over there?" Naruto asked, standing up and pointing at Sasuke.

"Sasuke's grades were the second-best of all 29 graduates, and yours were dead last. You understand we have to do this to balance the teams, right?" Iruka-sensei explained.

"Just don't get in my way, dead last," Sasuke murmured.

"What did you call me?!" Naruto shouted.

"Give it a rest, Naruto!" Sakura yelled at him.

I sighed softly and shook my head, listening to Iruka-sensei.

"Okay, this afternoon, we will introduce your jounin sensei's. Until then, take a break."

I stood up with Selene and then grabbed Naruto's jacket, leading him out of the academy. "Come on, let's go get some food."

"Ugh! Damn that Sasuke!" Naruto exclaimed.