5. Awkward Moments

The two mages made their way through the train, Evergreen clutching tightly to one of Elfman's hands. 

They made it to the dining car, where Evergreen found some ice for Elfman's injury. She placed it on his face tenderly. They stood there awkwardly, not knowing exactly what to say in this situation.

"I'm surprised no one has come to ask us what happened. We must have been pretty loud back there. Do you think those men did something to the other people on the train?" Evergreen asked.

"What? I don't know..." Elfman said, not concentrating. He was thinking about how Evergreen didn't really have to be the one to press the ice against his face, but she was choosing to do it anyways. He wondered what happened to the cold, indifferent Evergreen who had initially turned him down at the guild. Evergreen was different when it was just the two of them...

"...the front," Evergreen was saying. Elfman snapped out of his dazed thoughts.

"What?" He asked, confused.

"Do you listen to anything I say? Or am I just a pretty woman for you to stare at like that?" Evergreen asked, smacking him on the head with her fan. Despite her outburst, there was a slight blush on her cheeks.

"What?? No! I was just thinking about something..." Elfman said, trying to save himself. He hadn't realized that he was staring so intently at Evergreen. "Anyways... What were you saying?"

"I was saying, we should go check out the entire train to see if there are more people, and if there aren't, we can just go to the front. The train driver guy is sure to be there..." She said. She was still holding the ice up to Elfman's face, and it was starting to melt.

All of a sudden, the two of them heard voices coming from behind the door. They shared a glance.

The two of them stayed quiet and crept to the door. Evergreen put the ice down and whispered, "We'll have the element of surprise. Let's wait behind the door, so when they come in, they'll think no one is here."

Elfman nodded, and the two of them stood beside the door. Elfman took up a lot of space in the little corner, so Evergreen was forced to stand in front of him. She tried to press herself as far back as she could so she wouldn't be spotted as soon as the men opened the door.

Unfortunately, this meant backing right into Elfman, who gave a surprised grunt. Evergreen whipped around. "Shh!!" She said, as quietly as possible, but still with venom. 

Now the two of them were face to face, and squished in a corner. They avoided eye contact, but Elfman could feel Evergreen's body pressed up against him and it was hard to ignore. The two of them waited in awkward silence for the men to come in.

Then, the silence was broken by the door opening.

The two men walked in, not suspecting what would happen next.

_______________________________________________

As always, thanks for reading :) Hope you liked it! 

I'm going to stop asking for votes lol it makes me feel so egotistical. ( But, hey, if you want to give me one anyways, I'll still appreciate it XD )