13. Parting Ways

Yasmin decided to go with Elfman into the forest.

"They never said that you had to go alone," she said, as she prepared for the night.

"Are you sure about this? You really don't have to come. I'm a man, I can handle it," Elfman said.

"Absolutely sure. I want to help as much as I can." Yasmin seemed determined.

"Okay," Elfman said. He was secretly glad that he didn't have to go alone. Sometimes he got scared of the dark, but he would never admit that to anyone. It was so unmanly.

As it started to get dark, the villagers got antsy. Would the beasts attack again while Elfman was gone? Elfman didn't want that to happen, but if it did, it would be a problem.

So Elfman took one final trip to the hut where Evergreen was.

"Hey, Ever."

"Elfman?" Evergreen sat up quietly. She met his eyes, and for a second, she thought maybe he had come back to apologize, or even tell her the one thing she really wanted to hear from him.

But what he said was:

"I think it's a good idea for you to stay here. You can protect the villagers if the beasts come while we are away."

We? Evergreen thought to herself. So Yasmin is actually going with him... Evergreen lay back down, nodding.

"Yeah, I can handle that."

"Okay then. I'll see you later," Elfman said, stepping out of the hut.

"You'd better come back," Evergreen said, forgetting her broken heart for a minute. "I'll never forgive you if you don't."

Elfman stared at Evergreen. It was probably one of the sweetest things she had ever said to him, and he found himself smiling.

"I will. And Ever?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm glad..." Elfman hesitated. "I'm glad you came with me on this job. And I'm sorry about what I said earlier."

Evergreen looked up, surprised, but Elfman was already out of the hut, heading into the forest.

A few kind words from each other brought a smile to both Elfman and Evergreen's faces. And they both realized that they've been denying something this whole time.

They were in love with each other. But neither of them knew that the other was thinking the same thing.

Elfman walked into the forest with Yasmin by his side, but thinking of Evergreen.

"What are you smiling for?" Yasmin asked, confused.

"Eh, nothing..." Elfman said, blushing a little. Good thing for him that it was dark and Yasmin couldn't really tell.

"So, where in the forest should we go?" Yasmin asked.

"I'm guessing they'll find us... so just keep walking. By the way, Yasmin..." Elfman said. "If we get ambushed, I want you to run away or hide. Even if I get caught up, you will be safe and you'll have a chance of saving the men of your village."

Yasmin nodded.

And the two of them made their way into the dark forest.

________________________________

Thanks for reading and make sure you vote and comment and all that good stuff.

Love you all!