The Ceremony

"Calm down, Annabeth, everything will be just fine," Piper reassured me. We were alone, in Cabin 6 of Camp Half Blood, the cabin of my mother, the goddess Athena. Piper was braiding the sides of my hair, getting me ready for my wedding day. "It's not like Gaea herself is gonna reach out of the earth and crush your wedding venue". She pulled the two braids together and the back and tied them together in a high, elaborate bun. She left two strands of curly hair on either side of my face. I insisted on keeping things simple, but Piper said that I should dress up a little on my big day. Needless to say, I lost that argument.

    I dreamed of taking Percy and I's relationship a step further for a long time, but I never imagined it would happen, constantly being hunted by monsters and all. Especially so soon. I'd always thought, maybe in three to five years, we might finally settle down. And then, out of nowhere, three and a half months ago, he proposed. He had asked me out for dinner, which was very unlike him. He wouldn't tell me where we were going. He kept telling me it was a surprise. I was shocked to see he had taken me to the fanciest restaurant in New Rome.

    Then, in the middle of dinner, after an unusual conversation about starting a family, he dropped down to one knee, professed his love to me, and asked me to marry. I, of course, didn't hesitate to say yes. Then, forgetting we were in a super busy, fancy restaurant we kissed. I never wanted it to stop. Percy and I were getting married! We would start a family! I couldn't wait for the wedding!

    Now, a few hours before the big event, I was horrified for the ceremony to come. "Anything could go wrong with our luck!" I chanted. It was true. When Percy and I's relationship finally became official, Hera took his memories, and shipped him off to Camp Jupiter. I've never liked Hera. What if, when we get married, something worse happened. The fates could be cruel...

    "Maybe, but you'll look great nonetheless!" Piper squeaked. She had just finished putting a million bobby pins in my hair, keep every strand perfect. She walked to the other side of the cabin, and grabbed the veil I had draped across the side of a chair.

    "I won't look great compared to the gods, and goddesses," I mumbled under my breath. Piper, though she was across the cabin from me, heard me.

    "Stop thinking so negatively!" she demanded, "Your getting married! You should be happy!" She had a point. Maybe part of the reason things always went wrong, was because I expected them to. Maybe I should try and be more positive. Then again, the fates will probably jinx anything I do.

    Piper tucked the veil under my big bun, and straightened it so it flowed down to my shoulder blades. My dress was long and flowy. It had little ruffle sleeves, and a rather simple torso. There was a belt ribbon tied around my waist. The bottom was a very simple shape, but it was covered in the same elaborate designs as my veil.

    "But, what if something does happen. When would we get the time for a wedding, and a honeymoon. We would have to deal with the problem, which would probably lead to more problems." So much for being positive.

    "Everything will be just fine. It will be just as planned. I promise." Piper told me. Her positivity wasn't rubbing off on me.

    "If you say so." I said, as negatively as possible.

    We didn't talk, as she walked around me, inspecting my hair and my dress, making sure everything was perfect. She occasionally fixed a tiny flaw, such as a thread from the dress coming undone. I tried not to worry. Everything would be fine. What's the worst that could happen? The cook forgot to dye the cake blue? My cousin Magnus would get upset about all the blue?

    "You look amazing!" Piper exclaimed as she stepped back to marvel at what she had done, "Wait till my mom sees you!'"

"I'll look like an old witch next to your mom!" I grumbled. Aphrodite sure was beautiful.