The Destruction

Percy pushed me away, and I fell back into the water. I closed my eyes, and kicked to the surface. I covered my head with my arms, even though I knew it would do nothing to save me. The water around me started to swirl, and move, but I didn't care or notice. Suddenly, the water was swept from under me, and I landed on the muddy ground. I closed my eyes and waited to die.

BANG!

But, I didn't.

The sound was so loud, everything shook. I started to sit up, but vomited. My body felt like it was on fire, and I was drenched in sweat and blood. Confused, I moved my arms, and looked up. I gasped, and realised why he had pushed me away.

It reminded me of when Percy had held up the sky, all those years ago. Percy was on his knees, and his hands were held out in the air. We were surrounded by a dome of water.

The ground was no longer flooded, though still muddy. The dome only covered Percy and I. I couldn't tell what was beyond it, only chunks of buildings, and the cavern ceiling. It was all held back by a swirling shield, giving it all a blue tint. The dome was beautiful, and I would have stayed to admire it if we weren't in danger. We still needed to get out of here.

"Percy!" I called, standing up and running to him. I kneeled next to him, and put a hand on his shoulder. Tears streamed down my face, and I was shaking. We were alive. "We need to get out of here."

Percy nodded. He was in pain, I could tell. He'd used a lot of power in the last ten minutes. It was miraculous he was still able to hold the dome. Hopefully he could hold it long enough to get out of here. "H- hold on t- to me." Percy struggled to say.

I nodded , and held on to his shoulder. What was he going to do? I still couldn't believe we were alive. It was a miracle.

Everything happened in an instant. One second, we were under the water dome, the next, the water shaped around us like a bubble. I gasped, and looked around. Percy and I sat at the bottom of the bubble. It felt strange, and indescribable. The debris moved around us, and I looked up to see the sun. Water swirled around us, the debris, and everything. It made a path straight through the rubble, and our bubble started to float up.

I couldn't move. The sight was so beautiful, indescribable, and surreal. The water swirled around through the air like a painter was swirling paint on a canvas. It was amazing.

I stared above us, and at the light. It was growing bigger and brighter as we got closer. I squeezed Percy's hand. He was still kneeling, and looked like he was in pain. His arms were shaking, and his breathing was heavy. He was using a ridiculous amount of power. Power that I never thought was possible.

Soon, we were above the debris, and being shot into the air by a geyser. I flew up at least fifteen feet before I began to fall. I had lost sight of Percy. The water fell, and the gap in the debris closed, like nothing had ever happened. I fell, waving my arms, and slammed into a slab of concrete. I slid down it, and collapsed in the rubble.

I coughed, and spit blood. Shaking, I got up on my knees. It was over. The gorgons were gone, and we could leave.

But as I stood up, I realised it was not over.

I stood in the middle of it, like a lake without water. Everything was destroyed. Pieces of houses, buildings, and streets. I saw the occasional body, and I knew the rest would be crushed and buried farther down. So many people. Innocent people were now dead. The didn't even know what was happening as they fell.

The only way out of the pit was a steep hill. Percy and I would have to climb it to get out. Teary eyed, I started to look for Percy. I climbed over pieces of rubble, occasionally tripping. I felt like I was in a landfill, climbing through trash. After a few minutes of looking, I found him passed out.